What's new with the house - 2/4

I have all sorts of new house things to show you, but I haven't taken very many pictures.

First of all, the porch ceilings are up.  More tongue and groove wood - stunning.  Right now they are primed, not painted yet.  They are so beautiful.  Classic.

Second of all, they finished the trim and crown molding in the main hallway and the family room.  It is over the top AMAZING.  I promise to get pictures up here soon.

I will stop the "of alls."  :-)  We designed the pantry, which was an absolute blast.  I didn't take pictures, but I'll explain what it'll look like:
 * One wall (on the left - visible from the living room) will have a stand up freezer, plus kitchen cabinets, a counter top, and kitchen drawers.
 * The long wall in the back will have medium to big storage - shelving on the whole wall.  *drool*
 * The smaller wall (on the right) will have a tv and phone and bench on it.  (Remember, it's our tornado shelter too.)
 * The other long wall has a door in the middle, so we have minimal storage - a place for vacuum cleaners and TONS of cans.  YES.

Next, they are getting ready to install the septic system.  I am new to all of that and very intimidated. It seems, like everything, that regular maintenance and preventative measures are much cheaper and easier than waiting until your yard is full of poo.

Meanwhile, how pretty does the paint color look with the fireplace?!  (The left side is in shadow, the right side in light.  Same color - both sides look great.)

I LOVE my hardwood floor.  It is darker
than I remember, but I only love it more.

We are trying to pick out stain colors for the family room ceiling and front door.  I'm thinking something dark for the door (to go with the dark floors and dark exterior color), and something medium/light for the ceiling.  Take a look at this picture:


Okay, the bottom right plank is my floor color.  I am thinking I like the one on the far left (on the top) for the ceilings of the family room.  I don't want them to be oppressively dark though, so I may go lighter.  I want the tone or hue or whatever to go with the floors and the fireplace.  The contractor is going to "condition" the wood (whatever that means) and show me more samples.  Apparently it makes the stain show up differently.

We are also talking about and planning for the backyard patio and screened in porch:

The green outline is the patio - grill against the house,
fire pit in the middle of the half circle.  Contractor
says we can fit up to 20 people around it.  I see youth
group plans in our future!  Not to mention the whole
Day family.

Well.  I need to pick the finish on the patios.  I can't afford stone, so I was thinking of stamped concrete, which looks like stone:

Stamped concrete
It looks like it might be too pricey, but we're still trying to figure that out.  If it is too pricey, we can install plain concrete (which I am pulling for) or aggregate concrete which looks like this:

Photo from google images

The problem is, that is not comfy on bare feet and we are bare feet kind of people.  I'll get back with you on what we end up with.

I also picked whether I wanted straight or tapered columns on the front porch.

Straight (photo from google images)

tapered (photo from google images)

Both look good and both work, but I honestly picked tapered because Stephanie likes them best.  I didn't care either way, but she loves them more.  And I like everything she likes.  lol.

And, these are all decisions I made in one day.  lol.  Fun, fun!

Meanwhile, I have asked at least a thousand times if they think the house can really be done by May 1st.  As far as things are going now, they are still very confident it will be done then.  I know things happen and it could possibly be delayed a week or two, which is the grand scheme of living here the rest of my life, a week or two isn't a big deal.  (I hope to keep that perspective around mid-April when I am almost all packed and want to be in the new house already.)

I haven't opened the oven racks yet, but look at my pretty stove knobs!


Comments

Vicky said…
LOVE the stamped concrete! And love the tapered pillars! Also love the idea of ALL the Days being out on the patio! :D