I Heart Guntersville

As great as Florida was, it is SO good to be home.

I spent the whole day yesterday just reveling in being home, going through bills, emails, Facebook, phone calls, my DVR, etc.  Next thing I knew, it was 3:30 and I still hadn't started the laundry!  It was a cool, rainy day, so I made a yummy chicken pot pie for dinner.  Michael had been eating out of the freezer and fast food while I was gone, so he didn't even mind that I made chicken.  He liked it.  (He likes the pie filling, without the crust.  Mashed potatoes on the side.  Weirdo.  But I like making him happy.)  The rest of the night I worked on 4 loads of laundry.

Today I did a little school with Kara, cleaned my bathroom, made Michael a steak dinner, bought groceries, and checked on the house.

We happened to catch Bert at the house, which I love, but I'm sure he must hate!  We try not to take up too much of his time, but we always do.  It's his job to pretend like he has all the time in the world for us and loves being there, but I know he needs to get home for dinner!

I meant to take pictures, but didn't.  The mudding and taping has been going on a little over a week and still has THREE WEEKS to go!  lol.  Did you know there are three layers of mudding and taping?  I had no idea.  Each layer is wider than the one before it.  They haven't finished the first layer yet.  They've done up to about 9 or 10 feet up, but anything higher than that hasn't been done yet.  Next comes trim, interior doors, and eventually floors.  There are a few things here and there I have mentioned to Bert about adding/changing, and he says they are cheap and fast, which is encouraging.  I'm considering hardwood floors in the bedrooms, so we'll see if we have room in the budget for that change.  We talked about doing a cement 50 foot slab for the RV (That means you, Dad!), and just doing cement all the way over to the house.  Then we will pave from the house down to the driveway.  That's our first plan anyway.  Either way, they are definitely going back and into the woods 50 feet for that RV.  They are about to drywall the tornado shelter - they had to line it with pressure treated wood first since the whole thing is a concrete box and any wood that touches concrete must be pressure treated.  We haven't done any of the pretty stuff yet, but we are under budget so far!  It sure costs a lot of money to have a house with nothing in it.

Then Kara and I went to church tonight, but they were having their Fall Festival / Trunk or Treat.  It was really fun!  It would have been more fun to go with a friend, but I realized how many people I knew while we were there.  Several even remembered my name.  Kara got her face painted, got candy, bounced on bouncy houses, pet baby farm animals, etc.  It was a good time.  Then we drove home and saw the almost full moon rise over the lake.  WOW.

These few days have been absolute bliss.  Driving to ALDI, I saw a disabled car in the right lane. I was already in the left lane and as soon as anyone saw those flashing lights - way down the road, they moved right over into the left lane.  No zipping ahead and cutting over, just patience and everyone waiting their turn.  Bliss.

While we were in Florida, Guntersville popped into fall.  The trees are absolutely beautiful.  Whether I'm driving over the lake looking at the mountains, whether I'm snaking up the mountain to our new house, whether I'm looking out the back door of our rental house, I see beautiful fall colors.  Absolutely stunning.

Everywhere I go, I hear that sweet southern drawl.  Every store, every one at church, every adult, every kid, everyone on the phone.  Sweet.  I love it.  I must sound so weird to them.

It's still warm here.  We were at church in the parking lot for Trunk or Treat and it was in the mid to upper 60s!  In the dark!  I wore jeans, but would have been fine in shorts - several people were in shorts.  Some were in jackets - bless their hearts.

One more thing - gas is $1.79 a gallon.  I topped off just for the heck of it.

I absolutely love it here and can't wait until we are in our new house so our friends and family can visit here more often.  I never want to leave.

Comments

Vicky said…
Sounds like a wonderful place to live! :D I can't wait to visit!
jeday0323 said…
We can't wait to have you!!!