Happy Easter

Happy Easter!  He has risen!!  Oh, my, what a wonderful day.  We are celebrating Christ rising from the dead and ascending to heaven.  After He died for our sins.  So we can all go to heaven and be heirs of the very Creator of the universe.  Oh my.  We are not worthy but are so grateful for God's mercy and grace!!

We celebrated with my family last week, so it was just the three of us today.  I had a beautiful purple dress with flowers on it set aside for Kara to wear.  I bought it for 99 cents at a thrift store, in case my darling tomboy didn't want to wear it.  As it turns out, I was right.  I asked her if she wanted to wear it and she said no way.  So, she wore her go to black pants and a pretty light blue shirt with colorful polka dots on it that look like Easter eggs.  :-)

Here's the thing.  I totally understand dressing up for Easter.  I totally understand it is nice to wear your best while worshipping God.  I do get it.  But I don't think it's necessary.  I think if Kara hates dresses and Michael doesn't care if she wants to cover her braces with pants, she can worship very well in her everyday clothes.  While there is nothing wrong with dressing up (and it's something I would LOVE to do!), I think God is totally fine with you coming as you are.

If my daughter is 8 and loves the Lord and knows Him and prays to Him and depends on Him and memorizes Scripture regularly, I'm thinking it doesn't matter how dressed up she is while she does it.  I don't ever want to teach her church is an uncomfortable place where she won't be welcome for any reason at all.  While modesty is wise for so many reasons, I don't believe formality is necessary.  If you disagree with me, I'd like you to show me where Jesus said it wasn't okay.

So, we all wore our jeans to church and went out to lunch afterwards.  Kara picked McDonalds, where we prayed over our burgers just as easily as we could have done over a fancy ham.

Keeping it casual.  Keeping it real.

Comments