School Update - just about ready to start 5th grade

Well, it's March now, which feels so much different than February.  I feel like January and February are just one, super long month.  March is when things change.  Spring, change clocks, Easter, the works.  I LOVE Easter.  Everything that is wrong with Christmas isn't there, everything that is wonderful about Christmas IS there.  I. Love. Easter.

Anyway, I'm feeling like we are well on our way into this "spring" semester, so we should get more serious about school.  We have been doing that unschooling thing for a while, which for this family means we take a break from the formal school stuff and Kara is free to do her own thing.  For Kara, this works really well.

#1 She had her first three books published.  When you're 8, this means your mommy finds a website where she can upload your lovely words, you pick the color of the book, and wait an eternity for them to print and ship it to you.


Her just-under-100-page blue book cost $20 each!  So, we got three copies - one for us, one for my parents, and one for my bestie, Stephanie.  (Stephanie is Kara's biggest fan, after my parents, so she needed a signed copy.)  Anyone else is welcome to go to that website and print their own $20 copy, or they can browse through ours.  :-)

#2 She is reading like a maniac.  She reads 300 page novels in one - two days.


In the last month and a half (since my homeschool review), she has read 27 novels.  They are all from the Warrior Cat series by Erin Hunter.  Anything that has her voluntarily turning off the tv and computer, without me saying anything, so she can read, is a great series.  She brings her books everywhere so she can read in the car, while in line at the post office, while sitting in the cart at Target, etc.

#3 Kara has kept up with physical therapy, played in the snow with friends (one day - they were home with a snow day, so we went to their house), and she's gone roller skating a few times (the physical therapist says this is fantastic for her - we've only one twice, so she is using the "walker" to learn to skate, but I hope she wants to do it more).


Not a ton of P.E., but it counts for something.

Meanwhile we have done a little school here and there.

English:
So much English has been taken care of with her reading and writing on her own.  We did her grammar for the year back in the summer, so all she has left to do for 4th grade English is write a research paper.  Then present it out loud like a speech.  I bought a Test Prep book for 4th graders.  Even though we choose not to do the state-wide testing, I think it's a good skill to have, and keeps us on track with what 4th graders are expected to know.  So, we are finishing the 4th grade one up now, and the 5th grade one is on our book shelf waiting for us.

Math:
Whenever we don't do a formal math lesson, we skip count to remember our multiplication tables.  Meanwhile, we have had time for lessons here and there, so today she is doing the last quiz of the 4th grade book.  I ordered the 5th grade book, and it should be here tomorrow.  I won't make her start it until next week, though.

Science:
We finished 4th grade Science back in November or December and haven't done Science (from a textbook) since then!  Just this week we cracked open a brand new 5th grade Science book and got started.  It was so much fun for both of us - earth science is fascinating.

History:
Kara got halfway through this school year's History book before we took a break.  When I went to review what we've done so far so we could pick up where we left off, I found she didn't remember a thing!  So we are repeating History from last semester.  This makes me wonder if we should switch curriculums, but she remembered every single thing from the first book in this curriculum, so maybe she found ancient history more interesting than the middle ages.  She insists she likes this curriculum and doesn't want to change, so we will change the way we use it instead.  Maybe I'll have her write reports or draw maps or something to help her maintain the information.
Also, I have Geography workbooks we need to work on more.  (They are basic map reading worksheets.)

P.E.:
As soon as the snow melts, we need to start horse lessons back up again.  Horse lessons are FABULOUS for all her tip toe issues.  I'd also like to keep up with roller skating.  The better she gets at this, the more she will be working her core (to stay upright), while her ankles are firmly locked in place in those skates.  Again, the physical therapist said to do as much of that as possible.

Health:
This week we just finished 4th grade health and are ready to start 5th grade health.  I bought this book when I was in North Carolina visiting Michael's parents for Christmas.  I got a great deal with my used book at only $7!  Brand new, this book is $14.50 plus $6 shipping.  Score.  We have used Abeka health all the way through and we are applying the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it theory to this one.  We have also had a few very brief conversations about body changes.  *ahem*  No big talks, but little things here and there - all led by her questions.  I want all information she gets to come from me - nowhere else.

Music:
We still use the same YouTube videos I found a while ago.  They are cute cartoons that break down the staff and notes, beat, and 1/4, 1/2, whole notes.  Then we read music to play a song on a free piano app on my tablet.  We do this about once a month, and she sings at church weekly (with hand motions).  That is plenty for 4th grade.  I have a recorder with a book (thank you mom for keeping Christina's from when she was this age), so we may start doing something with that, but maybe not.  Listening to a child learn to play an instrument is painful.  I'm not supposed to say that out loud, or actually write it down, but it's the truth.  Can I get an amen from parents out there who have been there?

Art:
Kara has pulled way back on art.  We haven't done pottery since before she started casting.  She was drawing (with a pencil and on her computer) like crazy before our homeschool review.  Since then, nothing.  We will definitely have to work on bumping up the art.  Fortunately, this is something that comes easily to Kara, so it won't be hard to do.

And those are the 8 subjects the county cares about!

We also do Bible.  I found a book at Goodwill called No Boys Allowed: Devotions for Girls.  She gets in the Word a good amount with these devotions, and there's a nice life lesson that goes with it.  I'm finding she is still pretty immature and hasn't hit these issues yet (jealousy, gossip, what to do when people tell dirty jokes, etc.), but I like talking about them anyway and having her read what the Bible says about those things.  I also like telling her how I've struggled with those sins in my life.  I need her to know we are all a bunch of sinners, this means everyone.  What we do about that is our decision.

And there you have it!  After her research paper, it's on to 5th grade!

Comments