It's the small things

Fifth grade has been FABULOUS this week.  Starting a new grade right after we finish the previous one, without a 2-3 month break for summer has us skimming through the first several chapters - they are all review!!  For example, Kara was just in the thick of things in math with fractions and decimals, and here we are starting 5th grade math back in place values, addition, and subtraction.  Ummmm, yeah.  We skimmed all of that and went straight to the quizzes, which puts us further ahead.  I'm honestly not racing, but I'm feeling very surprised with how much time is wasted with summer vacation and how much time is wasted reviewing after the kids recover from summer vacation.  I know it will take A LOT of changes for America to go to a year round school calendar, but as far as the benefits for the kids, I'm all for it.

Meanwhile, new curriculum has been showing up at my doorstep every other day and it is SO MUCH FUN to go through it and make plans.  Oh man, I love it.  Brand new text books - is there anything greater?

Comments