crime and punishment

I am dying to get the opinions of my Facebook friends, but I can't embarrass Kara like that.  Sunday she told a stupid lie.  Lying has been an issue in the past, and I firmly believe it's a huge deal and a battle I need to fight.  And fight hard.  Last time, she lied about something she was doing wrong, so I punished her HARD.  A week with no computer or tablet.  It was torture.  This time, she lied about something that wasn't even wrong.  I told her I would punish her for lying only, so it wasn't as severe as last time.  Then, just a few hours later, she lied AGAIN!  About something else that wasn't a big deal either - she wouldn't have gotten in trouble if she just told the truth.

So, here we are, she has 10 days of no computer and no tablet.  I also believe every punishment should be as direct of a consequence as possible, so there are some privacy rights (on the computer) she doesn't get anymore until I feel like I can trust her again.  She has to earn it back.  After crying herself to sleep, she is totally embarrassed and needs to not talk about it any more.  This is my journal, my place where I record memories, and this is part of that.  So, I'm recording it.  My mom says lying is totally normal for kids (and agrees with me she needs tough punishment), but this lying thing is so out of character for her.

I remember lying to my parents once as a young teenager and they punished me HARD and I never lied to them again!  I even came home and told them immediately when my friends and I tried drinking in her basement when I was 16.  (Btw, it was gross.)

Michael, on the other hand, said he lied most of his childhood.  I asked what his parents did to break him of it, and he said he rarely got caught!  So, I asked how old he was when he grew out of it, to which he didn't answer.  Which means OLD!  Like college!  Great.

To my sweet few friends who do read this, what ideas do you have for breaking your kids of lying?  I am so out of practice for punishing Kara because she rarely does anything besides forget her chores or something.  Any parents of older kids who have totally broken their kids of lying?  Taking away what she loves most, her favorite entertainment, is the only thing I can think of.  Do I give away her gerbils?  Do I assign her giant amounts of chores?

Comments

Elisabeth said…
For me, it depends on the lie and circumstances. I think it natural to lie. Kids generally want to please their parents and when they mess up, naturally they want to cover it up. Honestly, I don't make a huge deal of it. I might be the wrong, Idk. I make sure to stress that it not only displeases me but God and what he thinks is way more important. That usually makes my older ones feel pretty bad and try harder at not doing it. Abby has just recently started lying about goofy things. Like I'll ask her if she went potty before bed and she will say yes even tho I know she didn't go. I don't want to get so mad that she ends up being afraid to tell me things in the future so I do a little reverse psychology and tell her if she pees the bed I'm not changing it in the middle of the night. I'm with Michael, I remember lying to mom and dad as a teenager about where I was going with a friend because I knew I wouldn't be able to go if I told the truth. I think for us it had a lot to do with mom and dad's parenting style. I didn't feel like I could talk to them about anything. I certainly don't want to be the kids' best friend but I try not to over react either. It's a fine line. As the parent, only you know the best way to handle it. If you feel like it is something that needs addressed, go with it!
jeday0323 said…
I appreciate your support, Liz!

My parent's logic, which is the same as mine, is the same as yours. They punished me crazy hard for lying, but way less if I told the truth. I needed to be able to tell them anything. And that's the way it needs to be for Kara. It also encourages the ease of asking for forgiveness. It was good practice as a kid for me to be open with my parents and work with punishment, which turned into my relationship with the Lord feeling like I can always go to Him, no matter what I've done.

I also told her lying is a sin. I told her if she stops lying as a child, it won't be such a difficult thing to kick as an adult.

And the first thing she lied about months ago was a chat room. It turns out it was perfectly safe, but easily could have been extremely dangerous. That requires serious punishment. Especially in that case, lying and sneaking is very bad.
Unknown said…
It is a natural thing for kids, so first of all, Kara is NORMAL! Now....normal doesn't mean it's okay. My kids have ALL lied about something at some point. I have repeatedly told them that they won't get in NEARLY as much trouble if they just tell the truth! Why is that so hard!? lol I punish for lying too. But it does need to fit the crime. It's different all the time too. Like at Kara's age, it might be taking the computer, etc. For my kids, it's the car keys! It will keep changing. I have to say, they still try to get away with it once in a while, but the guilt usually gets them. Especially Kayla! She can't stand it and will tell on herself! Knowing and letting her suffer with the guilt is it's own kind of punishment sometimes. Yes, maybe I'm evil. It's just whatever works with the child at that particular time. I wouldn't give away her pets though. Just my opinion.
Now for a couple of my kids good ones: Alex when he was six and in first grade cut a little girls hair and shirt with scissors!!! AAHH!!! The teacher called me that day to tell me what happened. I guess she didn't tell HIM she was calling. When he got home, I said, did you get in trouble today? no. You didn't? no Did you use scissors at craft time today? yes. What did you cut? paper. Really? Because Mrs. Logan called me today. Oh. LOL
Now....Kayla, when she was about 5 or so, had been told repeatedly to put her bowl in the kitchen or someone was going to step in it. I went to the bathroom and when I came out, I could tell that the bowl had been spilled. I asked her about it and she said she didn't do it. So being smart....I felt her socks. They were dry. BECAUSE she thought SHE was going to be smart and run upstairs to change her socks before I came out. She succeeded, BUT she chose two white socks that didn't match! So she still got caught!!!!! ROFL
jeday0323 said…
Lol! Those stories were great!

I totally agree, the punishment needs to fit the crime, and I really think it should be as close to consequences as possible. Michael and I agree taking away her entertainment and making her earn our trust again fits the crime. No pet giveaways.

I LOVE letting them stew in their own guilt. That is perfect - and teaches them to ask forgiveness and repent. Good practice.