Therapy

Things have been crazy these days and there have been some very yucky things mixed in there too (which I'd rather not bring up).  I am pleased to report (to my journal I share with the few of you who read this every once in a while), I am handling it well.  Two years of (Christian) therapy, which I'm sure I will go back to eventually, when needed, has done it's job and I am handling this time very well!  Don't forget, I take my baby xanax every day, which helps immensely, but I think therapy has done all it is going to do and I feel wonderful about that.  I have my monthly appointment next week and I am going to tell her I'm ready to take a break.  (Not say goodbye - I know I may need to check in again later.)

For those of you who have never done therapy, you may be skeptical, so I want to share my experience.  There are different kinds of therapy out there.  I have a friend who went to a secular therapist who said everything in her life should be about what makes her happy, even if that means leaving her husband.  (She stopped going.)  I have a friend who goes to a secular therapist and what this woman says doesn't contradict with anything Biblical, but it doesn't overlap either.  It works for her (she is already a strong Christian and looks to the Bible for answers on her own), so she still goes to her.  I go to a therapist who is a Christian (she's a preacher's wife who is a fully educated and qualified therapist), and who works for a Christian company.  Everything she advises me to do, think, work on, is backed up by Scripture.  She gives me verses to review and encourages me to memorize them, and use every issue I have to grow closer to the Lord.  It's like a private Bible study.  This is what I needed.  I needed a well educated Christian woman to tell me what the Bible says about all the things I'm feeling, however frank she needed to be about it.

I am a person who needs to work through what I'm feeling (I know not everyone feels like they are), so therapy worked really well for me.  I am going to keep her card in my purse for check ups later, but I think I'm ready to be done for now.

And it feels good.

I even am well enough to put up Christmas decorations.  (Thank you to my mom who came and helped me.  I told her I was finally not depressed enough to put up decorations and she said, "I'll help!"  It took about an hour and I appreciate her helping.)


Comments