School This Week

We're not really doing school this week, but we sort of are.  Like that?  lol.

It's summer, we're feeling hot and lazy, and the pool beckons.  We will do as much as we feel like and no more.

I used two pinterest ideas this week.

 These are continents in a box. I love the idea that children can explore the continent (looking through pictures of places, animals, people, etc). Love, LOVE this idea!

One was to have boxes for each continent filled with things from that continent.  This week we are studying Africa (geography, social studies: old vs. new cultures, compare other cultures (art, clothes, markets, houses, etc.) to America).

I made a box filled with animals from Africa (these we had), I made a house out of toilet paper rolls that looks like a lot of houses in Africa, and I printed a bunch of pictures of the cool trees there, the different kinds of houses, markets, art, sports, etc.  I got about 7 books from the library - each one about a different country - South Africa, Madagascar, Botswana, Congo, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, and another one I can't remember.

She really responded to the books and LOVED the Africa bin.  My goal is for her to learn geography of the continents even better by being able to picture what it's like there.  Not to mention all the social studies we're getting in there.

Another pinterest idea I saw was teaching fractions using paper plates.


Fraction paper plates

Second and third grade only teach 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4, so that's as far as we went.  Today I wanted to teach Kara adding, subtracting, 2/4 = 1/2, and the bigger the denominator, the smaller the piece of pie.  Of course, she figured out 2/4 = 1/2 without me saying anything.  Whether it was her brain or the paper plates, I'm glad it made sense to her!  Holding the colorful pieces in our hands made it easier to see which pieces were bigger and I explained when you made more pieces (and the denominator went up), the pieces got smaller.  I think she got it.

I loooooooove fractions.  I love adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing fractions.  I love reciprocals.  I love improper fractions, mixed numbers, whole numbers, and I love reducing fractions.  I love greatest common factor and least common multiple.  It was hard for me to stop with today's lesson.  :-)

That's about as far as we got in two days, which is all we had this week.  (Mon I work at the church, we did school Tues and Wed, and Thurs I'm leaving for my trip to Alabama.)  Better than nothing!

Comments

Unknown said…
I know you probably just want to teach your own kid, but you would SOOOOO make an awesome teacher! The ideas you have and the ways you use to teach are amazing. You make her "get it". So many kids need that. A different way for things to be brought to them in a way they understand. Not to mention the fact that you make it FUN!!!!! Kudos to you!!!!
jeday0323 said…
Thank you SO much for the compliment! Growing up I wanted to be a teacher, but quickly learned I am not a kid person, and veered away from that. Now I see that desire in my heart was there for my own little one!
It is so easy to teach Kara with the internet and facebook and pinterest. Everyone else has the great ideas, I just have to find and use them.
I appreciate the compliment though. I'm going to file it away to re-read on those days when I'm not feeling so fabulous. ;-)