Christmas is coming

Christmas is coming!  I am totally in the Christmas spirit.  My house is decorated, I'm almost done shopping, I'm almost done wrapping, and my kitchen is ready for me to cook and bake in.  I think I decided not to do cards anymore (thanks to facebook, which is my current way to keep in touch with people).  Christmas morning is at my house every year (since I'm the one with a little one in the house), and I can't wait to have the family over.  I love our traditions and I love what it's all about.

One tradition we have is watching the Grinch as much as possible.  My mom used to read us many Dr. Seuss books (she would giggle as she read the funny phrases), and the Grinch is very special to us.  Dr. Seuss isn't necessarily Christian, but every book (well, I've read about 30 of them and all of those) have great morals.  My favorite quote from that movie is, "Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.  Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store.  Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

I've spent Kara's life teaching her Christmas is Jesus birthday.  She knows Jesus came to the world to save us.  She knows we all can go to heaven (if we choose to) because Jesus died for us and that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  So, is it hypocritical to buy her presents for Christmas morning?  Absolutely not.  It would be if she turned into a monster who only cared about getting presents.  We are buying her only a few things, and I'm taking her out this year to shop for everyone else.  No more drawing them a picture.  Now she's old enough to shop for someone like grown ups shop.

So, during this season that is all about the birth of our Savior.  I hope we all remember the amazing Gift that He is, and enjoy giving to the people we love as a symbol of our appreciation of that gift.

What are your Christmas traditions??

Comments

Kattrina said…
You are way ahead of me! Money was tight this month because of my maternity leave so we can't start buying presents until I get my next paycheck! So it will be a gift buying extravaganza! I usually hate leaving it until the very end, but oh well. We have a few traditions from when I was a kid - like watching one Christmas movie/show every day starting 1 Dec. I haven't done that as an adult but once Evan is old enough for TV I'd like to start that. We usually head to Vermont for Christmas so that is a fun tradition - and we eat Panettone. I LOVE Christmas time!
jeday0323 said…
That's a great tradition!