Everything I know about MRSA

So, most of you know by now that Kara has MRSA. (She was never officially tested, two different pediatricians just really, really think so.) Actually, she had it in the fall, was treated for it, and it came back. That's the reason for the abscesses. Let's see if I can answer some questions. Here is what I've gathered from her pediatrician and from the internet:

* What is it and where does it come from? It's a kind of staph infection. Staph is something that lives on our skin, but if you have an infection, it gets into little cuts on your skin and become infected.

* Will it go away with the antibiotics she was just prescribed? Maybe, maybe not. She was given the prescription for it already and we thought it went away but didn't. Or it did go away and it came back. They gave me a longer prescription this time, so I'm hoping it works. The good news is, the pimple looking rash on her hiney went away, so I'm hopeful the abscesses will follow.

* How does it affect otherwise healthy people? It doesn't affect otherwise healthy people much at all. Kara certainly falls in that category. It could make her resistant to certain antibiotics in the future (I think), but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Complications are rare and deaths are even more rare.

* What can I do while she has the abscess? I have a cream to put on it when the abscess comes to a head - which will draw the infection and puss out without me having to squeeze it and put her through extreme pain, not to mention get scars. (Her poor little hiney is covered in scars from these things - something she'll be embarrassed about one day.) :-( Also, before it has come to a head, I can put desitin or even just vasaline on it, which will help prevent it from spreading and prevent urine from soaking into it while she's wearing a diaper at night.

* What can I do to prevent it from coming back? Unfortunately nothing. :-(

* Is it contagious? Not really. I was under the impression that if someone had it, they should be quarantined and everyone should wear masks. That's not true - it can only be spread through contact with the sore, other cuts or scrapes, or bodily fluids. As long as we take the proper precautions to keep all cuts scraps, and abscesses covered, it will be fine. She's safe to be around babies and the elderly (quoted from her pediatrician).

Here's a great website I'm going to use to help Kara live with this: http://www.tpchd.org/files/library/2357adf2a147d1aa.pdf

And now you know everything I do!

I know God is watching over my sweet pea and He can do anything. He is the great Healer and I have faith He has a hand in all of this. Praise God she is otherwise healthy and has a great chance in getting rid of this forever. Please pray for her too.

Comments

Kattrina said…
My nephew-in-law(ish) has MRSA on his face, so at least Kara has it in a place hardly anyone sees. He was 15 and had to go to school everyday. It eventually went away with antibiotics and the scars went away after a while. There are different types of MRSA, some more dangerous than others. Just make sure to always complete the antibiotic regiment (since stopping early is one of the reasons why MRSA exists) and hopefully it will eventually go away. Sometimes it takes a few antibiotics to find one that it isn't resistant to, but don't give up. And at least now you have an idea what is causing all the abscesses.
Vicky said…
I agree with Kattrina. But I think from the booklet/site you sent to me, you understand all of this, too. Have already prayed that the LORD sees fit to remove this permanently!
Magic Matt said…
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I have been suffering with mrsa skin boils for the past 3 years. I finally found a treatment that would help it go away. It consists of ozone therapy and intravenous colloidal silver. I had these treatments done at this clinic:

http://www.williamhittcenter.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPf5LilNtCQ&feature=related

I hope this works for you.

Best of luck,