Day 5, California Trip

We woke up in Garberville on Day 5 of our trip and headed out to see the beautiful redwood trees. I learned my mom had them in her yard and they used to play hide and seek around them. How cool is that???

I was so excited to see them from the road that I couldn't stop taking pictures! :-)





Not only are these things CRAZY tall (300 feet tall), but their trunks are really thick around. Here is a house made from one single redwood log. So cool!




Next, we pulled off the side of the road to wander through some random woods. Something that I thought was neat is that these tall trees grow so far apart from each other because nothing can compete with that root system and wide spread leaves.






We saw a clearing on the side of the forest, which went down to this beautiful stream with water so clean I would drink it! (P.S., this is the water my mom grew up drinking, washing clothes with, swimming in, etc - they had pipes that came straight from the spring water - amazing!) We also saw sweet peas, which my mom said grow wild all over the place out there, including their front yard!!




We went to an actual state park next (which didn't compare to the real forest), but that's where we saw a tree that was laying down. Wow!


After some souvenirs, it was time for lunch and the next hotel. Fortunately, the next hotel had a pool, so my mom and Kara played in the pool while I finished packing for the next day - flying home. We had a really easy flight home on a tiny prop plane, then the big plane across country, which had movies and meals. Good, good day!

It was a great vacation. We really had great bonding times, I learned even more about my mom's childhood, and we made great memories. My mom made it a true vacation for me and did all the feeding, bathing, dressing, teeth brushing, etc of Kara and even took her twice for me so I could relax in the hotel by myself.

We hope to do it again one day - in 5 years, 10, 20, who knows! Hopefully my sister (and her kids, when she has them) will be able to come too.

Comments

Kattrina said…
You trip sounds amazing. I'm so glad that you had a great time. I'd love to do something like that with my mom.
Vicky said…
Really enjoyed the pics!