Day 4, California Trip

Day 4
We rented a car and left the city to go see my uncle, who lives about 2 1/2 hours away. This is my mom's brother. Their parents and sister are all gone, so it's just the two of them left now. It's made them closer. I haven't seen him since I was Kara's age (and he doesn't even remember that visit), so this was a great time. He has a cute house in the country with an amazing view of a lake. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. On our way out of the city, we drove over the Golden Gate bridge (which is surprisingly short!) and pulled over to take pictures.




So, after a few hours in the car, lunch at McDonalds with a huge play area for Kara, we were at my Uncle Jay's house. (You know what I realized? I have an Uncle Jay and a great Aunt Bea. What are the odds, on the same side of the family I would have two people with names that sound like just one letter, J and B?) Sorry, anyway, we had a great visit. His girlfriend, Sue, was totally in love with Kara (how could you not be?) and played with her so Uncle Jay, Mom, and I could visit. What a great afternoon. He was so nice to us.






After a nice visit, we went out to dinner, where a barefoot girl on a bare back horse came up to us. She also had a little dog out with them. Of course, in this little country town, she knew my uncle and we met them. How random! I am not a city girl or a country girl, so I definitely was out of my element! :-)

After dinner, we had to say good bye so we could drive the 2 1/2 hours even further north to get to our next hotel in Garberville, CA. The next day we would be seeing the redwoods. On the way, we went down memory lane for my mom and saw the house where she grew up, and drove through her old town and saw her high school and her friend's houses. It was really fun. My mom doesn't talk about her childhood much, so for her to open up and share all of that with me was really special. We arrived at the hotel around 10pm, so we went right to sleep!

Comments

Elisabeth said…
I bet it was so neat to see and hear about your mom's childhood. Can you just imagine her being a little girl, like Kara, and playing out in her yard or something? I don't think we think about the fact that once our parents were just kids like us, or our kids, often enough! I've loved reading about your adventures and seeing the pics!
Kattrina said…
Your trip looks like so much fun. What a great Mother-Daughter-Grandmother bonding experience!