Partner



When I think about planning Kara's school through graduation, I realize how little time we have left with her living at home.  Whether she moves out at 18 to go to college like Michael did, or stays at home until she gets married at 22 like I did, I figure we are about halfway through the years with her living here.  On the one hand I need to collapse into the fetal position sucking my thumb because of the despair.  On the other hand, I am so proud of the young woman Kara is becoming and I can't wait to see what she does with her life.

BUT, this isn't a post about her.  This is a post about Michael.  As she gets older, she will only become more independent.  And she will need us less.  Until she doesn't need us anymore.  This is natural.  This is healthy.  This is the goal.

So lately I'm thinking about how when she leaves, it'll just be Michael and me.  When that happens, I want to transition right into the empty nest phase of our lives smoothly.  After she leaves, I want him to turn to me and say, "well, let's go out to dinner."  Because he knows me well enough and I'll need that.  And we still have things to talk about that aren't Kara.  

I think fostering our relationship all along the way is how that gets accomplished.  It's not something that happens on accident.  It's intentional.  And now while Kara is 10, I'm feeling like this is as good a time as any.

It's so easy for the enemy to step up and try to ruin this.  He wants us drifting apart.  He wants us lost.  He fills us with insecurities.  He wants us comparing our marriages to others.  So, I'm actively stepping up to pray for our marriage - specifically for the long term.  I pray it continues down a good path.

Because when Kara moves out, I don't want to look at Michael like he's a stranger.  I want him to be my best friend.  Like he is now.  He's my happy place.


Comments

Vicky said…
AMEN!! The kids are only ours to raise for so long! BUT, we have our life-partner for LIFE as we know it here on earth! Trust me, it will be sweet! :D Tim has his daily duties, but Thursday is ours! We laugh together and do more talking to one another on Thursday than the rest of the week because we get to be together ALL day! We look forward to this day and protect it as ours as much as possible!

Yeah, we love it when everyone visits! BUT, it is sweet to get back to just us, too! :D