Her Ministry

Tonight my Bible study class helped the kids in the church pack their Operation Christmas Child (OCC) boxes.  Since several ladies couldn't make it, I asked Kara to help.  She is a fifth grader, which makes her the oldest of the kids on Wednesday night, so I was confident she would do a good job.

My usually shy child was in her element.  She was extremely good organizing everything on the tables like we needed to.  She gave instructions easily to her peers who helped.  She stayed behind and worked with the adults to help with the littler kids as they came and packed boxes.  She had everything under control and I felt like she was more of a peer than "my little helper."  She handed stickers out at the end and told everyone they did a good job.  It was amazing.

On the way home tonight, she was practically in tears.  She said she didn't understand why that was so much fun and how she even did it - she's normally so quiet and shy.  I told her when we can't explain how we did something for God, usually that's because He worked through us.  I asked her if she thinks we can do a better job at something if we work hard ourselves, or if it's something we know we can't do and God can do it through us instead.  Of course she said He can do a better job than us.  Then I asked her how it felt to have God work through her.  She said, "AMAZING."

I know that feeling.

I love that girl.  I told her this is what it means to have a servant's heart.  She wants to volunteer more and more in the church.  I told her the church always needs more helpers, and she interrupted me to say, "maybe that's why God gave me this desire!"  That's just what I was going to say!

She is still on a high.  She cannot wait to do this exact same thing next year.  In the mean time, she wants me to talk with her to her teacher to see if there's anything else she can be doing to help.

Comments

Vicky said…
Praise the Lord! That is so neat! Good for Kara! We love you, BIG little girl!!!