Cholesterol

Since high cholesterol runs in my family, I thought it was time to get it checked for the first time.  It came back 220 when ideal is 200.  That puts me in the “borderline” category.  According to the internet, my LDL at 158 is borderline too.  And my triglycerides at 142 is too!

The doctor didn’t seem very concerned when they gave me the results.  They said, “eh, just eat less fried stuff and more vegetables.”  Of course, I’m type A, so I’ve researched as much as I can and have a plan.

I switched to oatmeal for breakfast (I normally do in the winter anyway, so switching early isn’t a big deal).

I am going to eat less saturated fat.  I was totally tricked into switching to coconut oil when cooking because I thought it was healthier.  Um, no, it’s incredibly high in saturated fat.  Ugh.  I switched a year ago!  That could be raising my cholesterol.  So, back to olive oil I go.

I am going to do some cardio several times a week - even if it’s just a walk to the mailbox (which IS half a mile round trip, thank you very much).  J

Honestly, at my age that should do it.  Just in case, I’m also going to eat less red meat and more chicken (yay!  It’s what I like anyway).  I’m also going to eat more veggies (yay!  It’s what I like anyway).  And I’m going to eat more monounsaturated fats (all my favorite foods anyway – oats, nuts, garlic, dark chocolate, beans).  Poor Michael won’t be happy, but I sure will be!  Maybe I’ll lower his cholesterol in the mean time too.

One thing I won’t be switching unless I absolutely have to:  switching to margarine.  I am a big butter fan.

I keep losing and “finding” the same 7 pounds every month, it seems.  It sure would be nice if making those changes keeps those 7 pounds away and maybe some more.  I am so over feeling like I would just be happy if I lost xx pounds.  But having my clothes fit better would be nice.  Although it is Thanksgiving and Christmas time!  I guess I’ll take it one step at a time.  J

I guess I’ll go back in 3 months or so and get it checked again.  I’ll keep you posted!


(Side note:  everything else they tested me for looks perfectly normal, including blood sugar.  I asked for a printout of everything anyway, I’d like to see what else changes in the next few months.)

Comments

Vicky said…
Your cholesterol is about the same as mine and they weren't worried. AND, I keep finding the same 5 or so lbs. I lose when I'm sick! :D At least I haven't found the whole 40 that I lost this year! :D Yes, this is the wrong time of year to be starting a diet! Oh, and thanks for the info on the Coconut oil! I was tricked, too! Back to the olive oil for me, too!