Big Kid Stuff

When you have a second child, it's time for the first kid to step up and help.  That first kid learns responsibility and matures.  When I never had that second kid, there are certain things I forgot to teach Kara.  Here are the things I'm working on now to make up for that:
 * First and foremost, it's time Kara eats what we do for dinner.  She has been a peanut butter sandwich kind of gal for quite some time now, but now that she is older, she must eat what we do. Sometimes its a teeny bit, sometimes it's a lot.  We're getting there.  It's not a battle I wanted to fight before.  It is now.
 * When we go to restaurants (sit down or fast food), she orders for herself.  She has to look them in the eye, say please, and say thank you.  Ask for refills too.
 * She has to hold doors open for people.
 * She has to check out her books at the library.
 * She checks us out at Walmart - you know the self check where you scan your own stuff and insert your credit card.
 * When we go to the doctor/dentist/eye doctor, I don't talk for her at all.  I tell her the things they will probably ask and let her go from there.
 * She sets her own bedtime.  She has to be dressed and ready for school by 9:30, and breakfast has to be done.  She can manage the rest.
 * She helps me unload groceries, sweeps the hardwood floors, and does her own laundry.
 * I'm going to have her help this Thanksgiving.  Whatever is age appropriate.

These are the things we're working on.  My goal - having a child who grows into an adult who enjoys hard work.  I believe these are the steps to getting there.

Comments