Working out the Kinks

The longer we live here, the better it gets.

I just posted how school is trucking right along.  It was actually really good for us to get going on school as soon as possible - doing something normal made it feel like home right away.  (Note to self:  do school very soon when we move into the new house.)

Michael was in a real funk when we moved.  I'm thinking it is an introvert thing.  I just let him hide and be snappy.  Well, less snappy and more quiet.  For months.  I knew he'd get over it.  I'm happy to say, he has come out of it and is absolutely delightful all the time now.

We are done with our trips back to Maryland to see friends and family so we can settle in more here.  I will still go to Florida one more time this spring, but then I'm hanging out here.  I will be able to drive and see cool stuff all around here - so far I haven't really left this town more than a handful of times.

We have friends here who we really click with.  Definitely God-sent.  They homeschool too, which just makes them even more perfect.  (Planning play times around school is extremely difficult.  Instead, we get together and play at a park for PE and we are planning field trips together.)  They are from here, so I'd love to learn more about my new home with their help.  Maybe I could even get Michael to get to know my friend's husband.  Maybe.

Kara is very comfortable with her church friends, our friends here in town, and her online friends from Maryland.  It's the way friendships/relationships are in the 21st century.  Join in or miss out.

We found our favorite regular restaurants.  Michael has a thing for going out to dinner, and the more I realize that and just go out to dinner really often, the happier he gets.  So, we do it!

Horse lessons are perfection.  Kara is trying things she was always afraid of because of her low muscle tone and tip toe issues, and her confidence is through the roof.  Horse lessons are so good for her and her muscles all over her body are all stronger because of it.  (You should see the things she carries and the food she eats now.  Wow.)  We go once a week and it's so cheap I'm not afraid to try twice a week, should we have a need for it.  Watch this video of Kara playing soccer on a horse (this is a great lesson in steering the horse).


Michael and I are enjoying this new life we are building.  Kara is old enough to stay home alone while we go out to dinner for date night, but we mostly love just hanging out at home together.  Having him work from home is wonderful.  He may be changing that soon, not sure.  He just said a job possibly opened up.

I have found all the stores I need for my "errands."  You know what I mean - I know my grocery stores, I have my favorite parking spots, I know the girls at my bank, I love the library, I hit the post office to mail presents, etc.  That stuff means a lot to me.

Church is awesome.  I've been dying to serve, but God wanted me to rest first.  Now I've signed up for the finance team and I was asked to teach a class.  I am DYING to get started on the finance team, which will start in another month or so.  I will serve only once a month for three years.  The class I'm teaching is a 15 week class from Jan - May.  Just because I'm teaching now doesn't mean I'll teach forever, but I told God I was open to doing things outside of my comfort zone for Him.  This was the first thing.  I'm doing it for Him.  I love Him so much.  But I'm nervous.

Kara has been serving in church for a while now.  Since she goes to Sunday school twice (while we are in church and our Sunday school class), she asked early to be the teacher's special helper.  She runs kids to the restroom, gets supplies for the teacher, and helps set up.  One week we walked in and the teacher said, "oh thank goodness you are here!"  She needed Kara's help cutting things out and getting it ready for the class the next service (which Kara was in there for).  Kara gets to talk with the teacher (usually one on one) before the next class starts also, which is neat.

Michael and I want Kara to work hard.  He and I are firm believers that hard work is good for you and the only way you can appreciate anything in this life.  He and I want her to "work" at the stables or maybe even an animal shelter.  Even if they treat her as a volunteer, we'd pay her.  She doesn't really care about money, but she will one day.  Anyway, she asked me the other day if she could start soon because she's ready.  I love her.  God is working on her little heart.

And I don't even have to say how much I love the "job" of building the house.  Well, I'm not building the house, I'm the Chief Question Answerer.

I know it's hard for Maryland friends/family to hear, but we absolutely love it here.  We are making a wonderful, blessed life for ourselves and we aren't looking back.  I feel every day like it's Christmas morning.  I feel like I went on a dream vacation, then was told I never have to go home.  I think (usually) when God calls you to do something, this happens.  It happened when I was called to serve on the finance team and it happened when I was called to homeschool.  The blessings are so great they are coming out of my ears.

Loving life in Sweet Home Alabama.

Comments