Culture Shock

It's interesting to live in a country big enough that just moving to a different region can give you culture shock.  Everyone speaks the same language (mostly), the roads are the same, but it's a different culture.  I mean, there is an entire genre of music dedicated to people singing about how much they love life in the south.  Wow.

I'm watching Hart of Dixie on Netflix.  It's about a girl from NYC moving to Alabama and finding it a strange place.  While she doesn't like it, I do.  Just in the first episode, I've seen all these things.

* No Starbucks
* Doctor's offices that look like houses
* It's HOT
* "Roll Tide" on rusted out cars in the middle of a field
* Kind hearted gentlemen - always helpful, always carrying your stuff for you
* Everything is stunning - nature is everywhere
* Guy played for Crimson Tide and was a local hero
* Power goes out all the time
* Even when people are upset, they still smile and are polite
* These people aren't afraid of wildlife like I am
* Amazing fresh catfish whenever you want
* If a doctor is out hunting, you just wait until he gets back
* Make sure you're sweet to everyone - it's a small town and being rude goes a long way
* Safe to walk around at night - only dangers are wildlife
* Weird sayings that you can't understand
* Rusted stuff and broken down looking buildings just sit around everywhere
* Front porches are still a real thing and people sit on them
* Southern belles still exist and I will never be one - I am not blond, I will never have my hair down and perfect in the heat of the summer, and I will never have a face full of makeup if the temperature is above 55 degrees.
* It's HUMID
* Old pickup trucks everywhere
* Tractors everywhere
* All the food is fried

This is my life now too and I love every second.  It's hilarious to watch her try to adjust.  I am too.  :-)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I totally belong in the south.