Break from school and What's up with the move

The last few weeks Kara has been having a hard time with school.  The assignments aren't too difficult, she just keeps complaining that she has to do school at all.  This boggles my mind.  I keep trying to tell her it's her job.  She has to do school.  She has started saying she doesn't like Science.  The same Science book we've been using since January and love.  Then she says she doesn't like math.  Um, while she's actually doing it, she loves it.  Now it's English.  That makes no sense - we read books all the time and she just wrote a book for fun!

After talking with another homeschool mom, we figured out what was wrong.  She likes school (she always has, which is why I am so confused), she just doesn't like the idea of school right now.  She is tired.  While we took breaks here and there through the summer, we have pretty much been doing school straight for a long, long time.  So, I think it's time for a break.  We have a two week break coming up, but one week of school to do before that.  So, we're going to do a half-week - just Bible, Spelling, Reading, Multiplication facts.

Since we are pretty much where I want to be around February or March of 2016, we can afford to slow down.  I know it sounds like I drive her pretty hard, but she is a very bright kid who can handle it.  The hardest part is giving her 4th-5th grade work, but remembering to present it to a girl who just turned 8.  I want to keep the content level high, but the workload lighter.  That is hard to do!

Anyway, since we are halfway or more through this school year, it's a good time to step back and look at what we have to accomplish for the rest of the year.  With a possible move coming up, we may be taking more and more time off, so I want to keep all of that in perspective.

Speaking of the move, this is what I understand is going on (Michael is a man of few words and this is what I have pieced together).  It is going to happen.  Awesome!  We are moving to Alabama one day!  Michael is definitely going to be a sub to the company that is currently the prime.  His meeting while we're there later this month isn't an interview, it's just a formality to meet in person since they will be working together in the future.  Now, we wait and see when a job becomes available that requires Michael's skill set.  Then he interviews, and then he moves down there.  (I say "he" because it may happen quickly and I may be left behind to sell the house.)  I have no idea when that will happen.  I don't know if it could be as fast as a few months or as long as 2 years, but that is in God's hands and I don't have to do anything!  I choose to trust Him with that and focus on what I can do.  What I can do is get rid of all the junk in the house that we don't need/use anymore in preparation for a move.  (We've lived here 7 1/2 years, which is the longest I've ever lived anywhere, and it's large so it has plenty of space to accumulate stuff.)  I got rid of a whole carload in the summer, and another one yesterday.  I am going to keep going!

Comments