It was a good weekend.

Friday, after a lengthy lesson on health, we had our monthly lunch social with our homeschool group.  We met outside at a playground.  The kids have been CRAZY inside and they loved being outside.  It was really cold for the moms who were sitting on the bench, but the kids had a blast.  And they could run and jump and climb.  Ah, outside.  One day you will be delightful again.  Then you will turn against us again and be blazing.  Oh well.

Friday night my sister took me out to dinner and we went shopping together.  One of our favorite stores is going out of business, so we hit their sales, as well as checked out a few nearby stores.  As fun as that was, we could have been grocery shopping and I still would have had a blast with my sister.  <3

Friday and Saturday I worked on lesson plan after lesson plan after lesson plan.  It was heaven, just lengthy.

Saturday we went to Kara's friend's birthday party.  It's actually my best friend's daughter.  So, they're friends who are more like cousins.  But, they live an hour away, so I was a bit nervous Kara would be left out with the group of girls who all go to school together and are friends.  I told Kara that if she felt left out she could sit with me and that we could leave as soon as she wasn't having fun.  She reminded me that she didn't care if she didn't know anyone, she would just meet new friends.  Which she did and she asked if we could be the last to leave.  lol!  What a perfect example of the OPPOSITE of the stereotype of homeschool kids:  unsocialized and can't deal.

When we got home I asked what she was talking about with her new friend outside and she said, you know, kid stuff.  I assumed that meant all things minecraft and spongebob.  Nope, she told me this little girl's mommy died last year from cancer and now she lives with her Grandpa.  They got on the topic of cancer and death.  Poor little girl.  I shared with Kara that her Grandpa's mommy died when he was only 6 because of cancer.  It is really sad, but the kids can still grow up just fine.  And I'm glad God's plan (so far) has been that I get to be with Kara.

That's my biggest fear though.  Do you moms agree with me?  Separation from Kara in any way (she dies, I die, kidnapping, etc) is my biggest fear.  For a while I had a hard time giving all of Kara to God because I could not say His will is better than mine if we have to be separated in any way.  But, I am working through that and am able to do it in small doses.  God is the one who instilled this fierce instinct in me, so he understands my heart.

Whew.  That was pretty heavy.

Sunday was church, Women's Retreat planning meeting, more paperwork for the retreat, and then we played bridge.

You know that whole day of rest thing?  I'm not very good at that.  I need a day that is separate and holy and not filled with work.  Maybe I'll do better with that next week....

Comments

Kattrina said…
I'm not very good at the day of rest thing either. My Sundays are always jam-packed with tons of chores and errands. I just need one more day of the week or an extra weekend day and I'd be fine!
jeday0323 said…
Maybe it's the season of life we are in? Maybe having little kids is just harder work and requires more of our time? One day I'll have gobs and gobs of time, I'll bake, I'll attend Bible study, I'll have THREE days of rest, but Kara won't be home. Sounds awful.
Unknown said…
That is exactly the truth. I think of a song/poem that says something about cleaning the house and it actually stays that way, the laundry baskets are always empty, it's quiet....too quiet. I think it sounds awful too!