A lesson in CVS shopping

Anyone who pays full price for toiletries is crazy.  Here's a little lesson in my method to finding such great deals at CVS.  I know what I have coupons for, what I need/use, what is a good price for stuff to donate.  So, I look through the CVS weekly ad, and see what deals pop out at me.  Here are three that looked good to me and that I actually used.  Keep in mind, you're always looking for things that give you extrabucks (store "money" printed at the bottom of your receipt) back, because they last a whole month and you know you'll be back to spend them!


My mom loves Nivea brand anything.  It's always been out of her price range, so now that I can get it cheap, she uses all she can.  She especially loves the lip care.  You can see that it was on sale for $2.50 each.  It sounds like that's still a lot, but do you see across the top how if you spend $10, they'll give you $3 back?  Well, if I buy 4 Nivea lip balms, that's only $7 total.  But, they also show you how there are $3 off 2 Nivea lip balms in the Sunday paper, which I have two of since I get two papers.  So, that $7 total goes down to $1 when I subtract two $3 coupons.  Now the Nivea lip balms are only $0.25 each!  I definitely got this today.


Another good deal I found includes Michael's Speed Stick deodorant.  He's pretty picky about the name brand, but not the scent, so I'm excited to get these cheap/free when I can.  I don't use the Irish spring soap, but will buy it if it's cheap to donate.   So, I got two deodorants at 1.99 each, two Irish Spring soaps at 3.00 each, and two Softsoap body washes at 3.00 each.  That added up to $15, which meant I qualified for my $5 back.  But wait, I had coupons.  My buy 1 get 1 free speed stick coupon actually took 3.98 off instead of 1.99 off - since that's the original price.  Which made those FREE.  Then I had $1 off 2 Irish Spring bar soaps, and $0.50 coupons for each body wash.  So, my total goes from $15.98, down to $10.98 (for the $5 back from the weekly ad), then down to $5.00 after coupons.  Not bad for all that I got with that deal!


Another great deal was this one.  I use caress soap, so I like to get this cheap when I can.  I used to think $1 a bar was pretty good because that's the cheapest I can find them, but let me show you how I got them for $0.42 a bar.  I bought 2 six packs of caress at $6 and one dove deodorant for $3.50 to get me to $15.50.  That automatically brought my total for this deal down to $10.50.  Then I had $1 coupons for each thing, which brings my total down to $7.50.  That means each thing is only $2.50, which works out to $0.416 cents per bar.  :-)

If that's all confusing, here's a picture of all I bought and I'll break down how I saved 76%.


Transaction #1:
Speed Stick deodorant - on sale for 1.99
Speed Stick deodorant - on sale for 1.99
Used B1G1 free coupon, which took 3.98 off (the original price)

2 Irish Spring 3 pack bars of soap - on sale for 3.00 each
Used 1.00 off 2 coupon

Softsoap body wash - on sale for 3.00
Used 0.50 off coupon

Softsoap body wash - on sale for 3.00
Used 0.50 off coupon

6 pk caress soap - on sale for 3.00
Used 1.00 off coupon

6 pk caress soap - on sale for 3.00
Used 1.00 off coupon

1 Dove deodorant - on sale for 3.50
Used 1.00 off coupon

Subtotal - $31.58
Used $5 off $30 coupon I got in an email from CVS
Used 8.98 in coupons
Used $7 ECB (extrabucks) from last visit
New subtotal - $10.60
tax - 1.59
Total - 12.09
Received $5 ECB for Speed Stick/Irish Spring/Softsoap, $5 ECB for Caress/Dove

Transaction #2:
4 Nivea lip care - on sale for 2.50 each
Used 2 $3 off 2 Nivea lip cares

2 Colgate Total - on sale for 2.75 each
Used $1 off 2 Colgate toothpastes

Small Nivea lotion for my purse - 0.99
Used FREE coupon I got in an email from CVS

Revlon eye shadow - 5.49
Used $3 off coupon I got in an email from CVS
Stacked with $1 off Revlon eye coupon

Revlon eyeliner sharpener - 4.99
On sale B1G1 50% off - 2.49
Used $2 off coupon I got from the CVS red coupon machine (in the store)

2 Airborne - on sale B1G1 50% off
 - first one was 7.99
 - second one was 3.99
Used 2 $2 coupons

2 Snickers peanut butter candies - on sale for $0.50
(yes, only one is pictured because Kara ate the other!)
Used $0.25 off 2 coupon I got from the CVS red coupon machine (in the store)

Subtotal -  37.45
Used 18.24 in coupons
Used $10 ECB (extrabucks) from last visit
New subtotal - $9.21
tax - 1.53
Total - 10.74
Received $3 ECB for Nivea, $2 ECB for toothpaste, $2 ECB for toothpaste

Before sales, everything in my picture is worth $96.56
After sales, coupons, and ECBs I spent $22.83
I saved $73.73 or 76%
Now THAT'S a good day!

Comments

Elisabeth said…
I really need to figure this out. But I need those kind of savings in the grocery dept! You would not believe how much Ryan eats (or begs to eat).
jessicaday said…
Kroger has crazy deals like that. Would you be willing to shop there? Next time I visit you, I'm taking a trip to Kroger!
Elisabeth said…
I have shopped there before but I just never spend any less than I do at
Walmart!