my mushroom gravy recipe

Watching Julie and Julia makes me want to blog about cooking, so here's a mushroom gravy I made up the other day that was awesome. It all started with mushrooms in my fridge that had been there a few days and I wanted to use them before they went bad. So, I cooked chicken for me and a steak for Michael, some mashed potatoes, and frozen green beans with butter and season salt.

Now for the mushroom gravy: Cook mushrooms in butter (it's the only way to cook mushrooms if you ask me). Get them good and brown, then add salt, pepper, and thyme and bay leaves. (Thyme and bay leaves are good in just about everything I've learned from Anne Burrell on Food Network, but I definitely think thyme is best friends with mushrooms and white wine). Then add a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (or butter) and 2 tbsp of flour. Stir it all up so the flour cooks for about 30-60 seconds. Then stir in some white wine (about a cup) and about a cup of chicken broth. Simmer it down until it looks like a gravy consistancy. Put on top of the meat (and if you're like me, on top of the potatoes and green beans too!). :-) I hope you guys try it - I can thank my immense number of hours of watching Food Network for this invention. And thank the movie Julie and Julia (which I just finished watching) for inspiring me to blog about it.

Comments