Homework

In an effort to help my sister, I took on a project to make her work life easier. I thought it would be fun too, to have a little something to keep me busy and make me remember what it was like to write code like the old days. So, I talked to my sister and figured out exactly what she wants. I was all excited to get started. Michael spent at least an hour setting my computer up to use his code. (Did I mention this project was going to be an add on to Michael's stuff?) Well, in all it's complete, efficient, magnificent, amazing perfection, it's super complicated for this stay-at-home mom. I probably could have figured it out years ago when this stuff was fresh, but I am totally overwhelmed. Michael is so sweet and volunteered to do most of it and I only had to do what I wanted to, but I have to say, this doesn't even seem fun anymore. I rested for a while, getting my mind in order. I spent some time working on the first (of nine) step and it was okay. But this isn't even fun anymore. I think I am NO LONGER a software developer. My job now is running my household, staying home with Kara, and being responsible for feeding my family. It may not sound like much, but it takes a lot of work and memory and love, and to do it well takes TONS of work and memory and love. I feel like I do it well. I absolutely love it. I feel like this is what I was meant to do. *sigh* As much as I don't want to admit it, maybe it's time to officially close the book on developing software. :-(

Comments

Kattrina said…
I would think that that type of information is really hard to retain if you aren't using it all the time. At least you're happy being a stay at home mom and don't have a huge desire to go back into the software development world!
jessicaday said…
Thanks for the support Kattrina. I was actually dreading telling Michael, but he was extremely supportive and agrees it's really hard to retain that kind of thing and is just happy I'm happy at home. :-) And boy am I ever! Life is so good!!!