Coupons

I've decided to start couponing. (It's a verb now.) I have a friend who's been doing this for over a year, so I got advice from her. It all basically boils down to using a manufacturer's coupon plus a store coupon plus a sale for one item. The trick is doing your research to find where those deals are. There are many blogs out there that do the research for you, but they have so much of what I don't need, that right now I'm doing the searching myself.

Fortunately, we are not having financial problems. We are doing just as well as ever, but I want a new kitchen. Since I don't believe in taking out loans for something like that and since I hate paying interest, I chose to save the money ahead of time for my new kitchen. Because I'm not struggling, clipping coupons is fun and kind of a game. I am not stressed at the register thinking I'll have to put something back on the shelf because I can't afford it if the coupon doesn't go through.

Just so you know, my mom thinks I'm crazy. She loves getting a good deal (translation: she's cheap), but she HAD to clip coupons for years, so now that she finally doesn't have to, she probably won't be joining me in my new hobby. (It reminds me of how Vicky had to dry the clothes out on a line all those years, so now she refuses to do it. Now that she has a dryer, she's gonna use it!)

Last week I saved $35 and today (thanks to the Sunday paper), I saved $29 at just one store! My friend who's been doing this a long time says she usually saves 50% or more at grocery stores and at CVS she usually saves 80% or more. Whoa! That's going to be my goal. Just today, my $29 savings were 54% of the total bill. I'm getting the hang of this!

Side note: it's definitely tempting to buy a ton of stuff I don't need just for the discount or because it's free, but then I'd be no better than those people on "Extreme Couponing" on TLC that are basically hoarders. I have no desire to go down that road and my savings totals may not be as big as they could be, but I'm only buying what we need.

Comments

Elisabeth said…
If I could get good enough at it that I was getting tons of stuff for free or next to nothing I would donate it all to homeless shelters or food pantries or something. Maybe send it overseas to military people or countries where kids don't have anything....
jessicaday said…
That's a good idea.....
Madamommy said…
Try to aim for 60-70% and you're right it's a game. Go for the BOGOs at local grocery stores-view the adds on-line. If you have two coupons, you can use them both since technically you are buying two items. AND if you can use a comp. coupon along with the man... PRACTICALLY FREE!!!! Woohoo! I save around 75% shopping. I stock up-so that way I will always have what I need. ALSO there are sale cycles... something that might be on sale this week is guaranteed to run a cycle and be back at the same sale within 4-8 weeks (so if you don't have a coupon this time to use with the sale, just wait until you get a coupon!). I find, down here, it's easier to coupon because of the stores Publix and Kroger allowing so many coupons to be used. Someone told me though that a Kroger was being put in somewhere up there... let me know if it does. My sister teaches couponing classes and saves BIG at Kroger-about 80%!
Vicky said…
This is starting to sound more like fun than work...........and I LOVE a good challenge! (BTW, I did put up some clothesline this summer and used it several times, but it has been so STINKIN' hot that I haven't used it much at all lately!)
jessicaday said…
Sheryl, what stores do you save 70%? I wanna do that!
Liz, now you got me thinking about a new ministry - couponing for Jesus. I'm gonna pray about that one!
Anonymous said…
Couponing for Jesus! I love it!!! I don't like on the shows where a person has like 100 bars of soap or something crazy like that. Great if you only get what you'll use. And stocking up is fine, just not stocking up for hte rest of your life and your kid's lives AND your great, great grandchildren!!! LOL