Too Much

When I have a friend or family member who is in need, I'm the first one to offer a meal or a baked goodie. I also want to grocery shop for/with them, and maybe do a load of laundry or dishes too. My spiritual gift is serving, in general. I enjoy things that go on behind the scenes, things that make life run more smoothly. That's why I LOVE being a stay at home mom! It's a life full of making sure the house runs smoothly.

Lately it seems like every one of my friends is going through a rough time. Most of them, actually, are going through VERY rough times. I constantly want to be there for them, listen to them, pray for/with them, bring them food and goodies, and have Kara play with their kids to give them a little time to relax. I feel like my great life and my great health are God's way of letting me step up and help them. He gave me time and energy to use them to His glory. I love being young and in great shape and feeling great. And when I hear a friend say, "I've broken my ankle and can't cook or clean or do anything for my family," I can't NOT step up and help.

Now that I've been doing something with/for someone just about every day for a few weeks now, I'm starting to run low on energy. It's getting to be a bit much. So, I need to learn from this and take a step back and hang out more at home. I need to get the balance back of making my family and my house a priority and helping others by fervently praying for them.

While acts of service are a good thing, feeling the need to DO something instead of praying and letting the Lord do His thing is something I really struggle with. Maybe it's the big sister in me. Maybe it's the mom in me. Maybe it's the flesh in me. Maybe a little bit of all of those.

Comments

Vicky said…
And, if not careful, you will CRASH and BURN one of these days! You are wise to step back just a bit for some refresher time! Balance is hard to achieve sometimes!
jessicaday said…
Thanks, Mom. :-) I appreciate the support. :-)
I hope you had a great mother's day! Do you have enough to get that new camera yet??
Vicky said…
Yep! Got it! Thank so much for your gift! New camera has 16X zoom and 14.1mp quality! Compared to 10X zoom and 7mp quality of my old camera! WOOHOO!