I appologize in advance for my bad mood

I know some people think I'm a snob for not enjoying WalMart - for preferring Target. But let me just tell you about the difference between my morning at WalMart today and my morning at Target last week.

Last week I dropped Kara off at school and headed to Target. The parking lot is laid out nicely and I found a close spot quickly. Everyone I saw I smiled at and they smiled back. The carts were all put away, the floor was swept and clean, and it was not crowded. I was happy to see everything on the shelves and everything was where it should be. Kara's clothes were organized according to size and the sizes were even color coded! There was nothing I couldn't find - in fact, I bought a few things I forgot I needed and a few things I wanted. I had fun. It was fun. The lines had one or zero people in them and as soon as there was a second person in line, other aisles opened right up. I was outta there in about 3 minutes. I brought my stuff to my car, returned the cart in one of the MANY available cart returns in the parking lot and happily went home.

This week I decided to work really hard yesterday on chores (swept, mopped, vacuumed first floor, vacuumed second floor, cleaned two bathrooms - all stuff that isn't fun to me) so that I could enjoy another morning shopping. First I sat for 8 minutes through three red lights just to get to the parking lot, which is laid out so every lane is one way and the parking spots are diagonal. Know what I'm talking about? I sat even longer while I waited for someone to drive the wrong way down the one way aisle. Then I had to push two carts back inside because they were in the parking spot. The ground was filthy and smelled like smoke and covered in gum. I haven't even got inside yet and I'm in a bad mood. I couldn't find several things on my list and went searching all over the whole store for one thing. All the workers told me a different place. When I went to look for clothes for Kara, the piles of shirts were messy, out of order, and I couldn't find her size. And several were covered in dirt stains. At least half of the aisles were blocked by someone stocking shelves, a screaming baby, or a rude person. I smiled at at least 15 people and ONE smiled back. Everyone else just looked away. When I got in line, I waited TWENTY minutes before the cashier even got to my stuff. Then I had to carry my stuff to the car because there isn't a cart return anywhere near my car.

In the end, I still spent $150 on just little stuff, nothing major, and that's how much I spent at Target. This is what I worked so hard yesterday for so I could enjoy today? This was my reward?? My morning was ruined.

Maybe there are nicer WalMarts out there, maybe some are cleaner and you leave with a better experience, but this is my experience. I will be a Target person from now on - at least in the Baltimore Washington area.

Comments

Vicky said…
I hate shopping trips like that! Our Walmart usually allows the lines to be too long, too!
jessicaday said…
I was just so disappointed. :-( This was supposed to be fun. Call me a Target snob - that's what I am.
Anonymous said…
Okay...I have three Walmarts that I could go to. One in Hurricane (the closest), one in Cross Lanes (2nd closest) and the furthest one away is in Barboursville. Guess which one I go to? The one that takes me 37 minutes to get to!!!! Why? Because Cross Lanes is dirty (much like you described!) and Hurricane has NOTHING!!! Every single time I go there I have multiple things on my list that they don't have!!! GRRR!!!! So I totally understand your Target "snob"ishness. I HATE the other two Walmarts and will gladly drive 12-15 minutes further for a better experience!!!!
Elisabeth said…
I go to the walmart in Hurricane because I hate driving all the way to the mall just for groceries! I just want to get in and get out! I like Target better for everything except groceries but I rarely go there b/c I always need groceries! The only other grocery store close is Kroger and I never do well when I go to Kroger. Jess J swears by Kroger but i never find good deals there. I think by now I'm used to all the crap that comes with walmart!
Kattrina said…
Well if you think you're a Target snob, then I must be the Queen Target Snob. I refuse to even step foot in Walmart - ever. I flat out refuse to go there. For one thing, it's horrible customer service and it's always dirty, gross, etc., just like you said. But it's also a HORRIBLE company. They refuse to let their workers organize (for unions) and therefore they all make less than a living wage with no benefits. They treat the companies they work with very badly, forcing them to sell their stuff at such low prices that they practically go out of business (the company, not Walmart), which is how they get such low prices. It is just a bad store and I refuse to support such horrible abuses - and they've had lots of anti-women complaints too, which makes it worse. I know some people can't afford to go anywhere else and that's fine, but I can afford to shop at a better company like Target and pay a bit more - so I do. A girl has to have her morals! So, I fully support your Target snobbishness and would even go so far as to say you're just supporting human rights and good business practices. :-)
jessicaday said…
Thanks for the support Kattrina. I had no idea!!!