My Promotion

How can I get a promotion while I don't work, you ask? It's kind of silly, but it means a lot to me. You see, I am a high maintenance woman. When Michael married me, he knew that. I love getting dressed up and I get upset when my hair and makeup get messed up. I don't like camping or sports. I don't like it when it's too hot or too cold, and I'm very sensitive to it. But, you know what? Everyone I'm related to and grew up with (friends included) are too, in their own way. We are all overly sensitive and high maintenance people. I didn't know any different. We were all happy and living normal lives. Then I met Michael......

Michael and most of his family are LOW maintenance. I think I never really saw someone low maintenance before - certainly not a woman. Some men love high maintenance women and appreciate their feisty-ness. They love the challenge of wondering what they're thinking now and trying to figure them out. I have never attracted those kind of men. I always attract men who wish I was lower maintenance. Michael included. I just want him to be happy and make his life easier, not harder. Also, as a Christian woman, I felt convicted to not make myself the center of attention for my husband and daughter. So, I made it my goal to be promoted to medium maintenance. I wanted to be somewhere in the middle.

I have been married 7 1/2 years and after a series of events that happened recently, I have been officially promoted!!!!!!! Michael said he isn't positive where the blurry lines between high and medium are, but he IS positive I am medium. :-) MY family thinks I'm low maintenance and HIS family thinks I'm still high maintenance, so medium sounds about right. I can't tell you how happy I am with my new promotion!

Will I ever be low maintenance? Probably not, but medium feels really good.

Comments

Kattrina said…
Haha, that's so funny! I'm super low maintenance. I NEVER wear make-up, almost always put my hair in a ponytail, have no problems getting dirty or killing bugs, etc. However, sometimes I wish I were a bit higher maintenance because at times I feel like a frump. The ironic thing is that Honduras made me a bit higher maintenance in it's own way because Honduran women get dressed up for EVERYTHING - vaccinations, walking to the park, going into town, etc. So, now I can't leave the house without throwing on some cute clothes - so that's at least good.
Congrats on your promotion!!!
Elisabeth said…
I think that is the best post ever!! So what is the new medium maintenance Jessica doing these days?! I love being low maintenance but sometimes I hate that I have no fashion sense and don't even know how to apply make up right! But I guess you don't need to know all that when you are riding 4 wheelers or fishing or camping or just hanging out outside with the fam and those are all things I love doing the most! Isn't it great that we are still learning things about ourselves every day even tho we are adults and we can still change ourselves for the better?!
Vicky said…
Great post! I guess compared to us (the Day women) you ARE high maintenance, but who cares! If Michael is happy, I'm happy! I think you are great! I think you definitely deserve the promotion to MEDIUM maintenance! CONGRATS! I love you! Your motive is to please your husband! That says it all! God is pleased, I'm sure!
Anonymous said…
I guess I'm inbetween maintenance!! I want to look good and be made up, etc. when I'm going to be in public. But I can be a skank at home!! LOL Actually....if you don't count home...maybe I am high. Hmmmm....I'll have to think about this. LOL