Trip


This weekend my mom and I worked on the details for our upcoming trip to San Francisco. As you may or may not know, my mom grew up in the country of northern California. (You know, she re-tarred roofs with her dad, shot guns for fun, and hiked up a hill in all kinds of weather to do laundry and defrost water pipes by hand. Stuff that blows my mind - I was never meant to live in the country!!) Anyway, she lived in California her whole life until she joined the military. After that, she married my dad and they both were serving their country wherever the Air Force told them to, which was usually overseas. Eventually, they were stationed here, on the east coast, which is a foreign land to my mom filled with strange bugs and horrendous weather. (She didn't know what humidity was until she moved here!) So, even though we've lived here a long time (1984-1989, 1993-present), California will always be home to her - the place where she fits in and feels the most comfortable.

So, a few years ago, when Kara was a baby, I thought it would be nice to have my mom show us around San Francisco (the city closest to where she grew up, and where they went for school field trips and things like that), then maybe we could drive by her old house. On mother's day, 2009, I gave her the gift of the idea of this trip for the next year, 2010. Since May is a nice time to travel to California, AND it's mother's day, I will be funding this awesome trip for just my mom, Kara, and I. Just the three girls, three generations. We decided to sight see in San Francisco for two days, and spend a whole day up north in the Redwood Forests. We leave May 17th for a whole week in California. It's going to be an amazing trip. Now all we have to do is wait FOUR MONTHS!

Comments

Elisabeth said…
It sounds like so much fun! Take all the trips you can now because when Kara gets in school, the trips stop till summertime!! What an awesome gift to give your mother. I hope it is an amazing trip.
Jessica said…
Oh that sounds so nice. I know our short day trip to Santa Monica and Hollywood was wonderful and I have heard great things about San Fran. I know you will have a blast! Enjoy for me because my trips are going to be slim pickin this year!
Vicky said…
That is a very thoughtful gift for your mother, Jessica! You 3 girls will have a blast being together!