Bees

Christina's husband, Tony, absolutely loves being outdoors.  He has an amazing yard/garden (his grass is perfection, he grows tons of flowers, he also grows food), but his ADHD decided that wasn't enough.  Now he is keeping bees!  He plans to sell the honey and eventually sell the extra bees/honeycombs that come later.  He bought everything and waited to transport it from the take-home-box to the permanent box until we were there so we could watch.  I wish I wasn't a weenie about getting stung so I could have gotten closer pictures, but this will have to do for now!

First, here are some of Tony's flowers.  I wish I had my macro lens on....




Okay, here come the bees.  He bought 50,000.

Permanent box.  The trays in there now are empty.  He puts the
ones that have already been started in the middle so
they can expand out.  Those honeybees sure are hard workers!

Smoke

What is Daddy doing??

Crazy Tony




He's pointing out where an egg is in the process of
hatching.  Cool!


Look at 'em fly!
Gotta find the queen.  Where's the queen.  Gotta find her.

There never was a better dog than this guy right here.




Honeycomb that fell off.

Whew.  That was fun to watch from afar.  I don't think anyone got stung!

Let's look at a few more flowers, shall we?




Yeah, I needed a different lens.  Boo.

Comments

Vicky said…
This year I got some of the purple flowers in your second picture. I've never seen them before.

What was the smoke for with regard to the bees?

I'm like you, I don't want to be stung, so I'll keep my distance, even though I think it is very interesting!
jeday0323 said…
Smoke keeps the bees calm. If you google it, it explains why. Something about it masking the "sound the alarm!" scent they give off when people are rifling through their hives.