Weekend

Whew, that weekend went quickly.

Saturday I spent cleaning, organizing, watching Netflix, and doing laundry.  I got a head start on packing a bit too.  I have already gone through and decided what clothes, jewelry, shoes, and purses I will bring.  Saturday I went through and decided on the household items I should bring.  I searched pinterest for good ideas.  Most of which I already knew (extension cords and power strips - you get so few outlets in your room, downy wrinkle release, umbrellas, etc.), but I learned a few things too.  Most of these posts are for when you're traveling with kids and have 4 people in a room, but I loved the idea of bringing a highlighter for the daily calendars of events, and I loved the idea of bringing ziploc bags so you can bring snacks off the ship while site seeing.

On Netflix I watched the Breakfast Club.  Supposedly they were sitting in detention in March of 1984.  I thought to myself how 30 years later, aren't kids still dealing with the same problems?  Then I watched St. Elmo's Fire, which I had never seen.  I realize I'm old because I didn't really appreciate the movie or their problems.  I was always the responsible kind, so the people struggling with becoming adults seemed exaggerated to me.  But, I didn't spend 4 years living at school and partying.  I lived at home and worked while I went to college.  I felt pretty grown up from the start and wasn't afraid of responsibility.  It also meant I had zero friends from college, so I was missing that huge part of the movie.  But, it was an instant classic, so what do I know.  Then I watched Can't Hardly Wait and remembered what it was like to be a teenager in the 90s.  The clothes and music were fun, but again, I never really did the whole party thing in high school.

Michael was fishing all day, so I did normal cleaning and laundry, then I did crazy cleaning like baseboards and bathroom fans.  For some reason, I love having my house spotless before I go on vacation.  Maybe it's because I love coming home to a spotless house.

Then Kara and I read several chapters in Little House on the Prairie.  We watched them build their house in the middle of the prairie.

Sunday I woke up early (an effort to get on London time), so I had 5 hours to get ready for the early service for church.  I ended up watching two movies while I got ready:  Safe Haven and 13 Going on 30.  Safe Haven was based on a Nicholas Sparks book and dealt with a woman running from an abusive husband.  When you combine that with PMS, it was emotional and heavy.  So, I watched 13 Going on 30 next, which was light and fun.

After a great church service, we went straight to Olive Garden.  Michael loves their endless soup and salad, although he ate only one serving of each.  :-)  I had the chicken meatballs and creamy risotto balls.  They were delicious.  Then Kara went to her grandparents' house and I headed to a bridal shower.  It's been a long time since I've been to one of those.  (I was one of the last of my friends to get married and that was almost 12 years ago!)  It was a blast and I'm so happy for her.  Here's the only picture I have from the shower:


Here I am with Lara and Sara, 2 of Stephanie's sisters.  I just realized Stephanie (the bride) isn't even in this picture!  Oh well.

Then I came home and packed some more.  I got all my toiletries together - I don't like to wait and pack the toiletries I use, I like to get a new razor, new deodorant, new bar of soap, etc.  Now it's all packed and ready to go nice and early.  It's such a long trip, I'm considering bringing 2 bottles of shampoo and conditioner.

Like I said, that weekend sure slipped by quickly!  Time for another week.  :-)

Comments