Homeschool Room

Even though we rarely use our homeschool room to sit and learn in anymore, I do all my planning there and Kara and I use it as our "office."  We hang out there most nights when Michael is asleep and we need a place to chill.  I don't know why we never go downstairs.  I'm realizing now that may be weird.  Anyway, you remember hearing I've been going through and doing some 'spring' cleaning.  Well, I'm feeling the need to make this space more efficient.  Let's go back several years to when I had no idea what homeschool would be like and I created this space to use as a classroom.

2012:

Look how empty my shelves were!  Wow, they were begging for some books. 

This was the cutest way I could think to have all my supplies handy for less than $10

I have enjoyed using this giant table (which was less than $40) as my desk for lesson plans and bills and coupons and whatever I wanted.  As the past two years have gone by, I realized I haven't updated anything!  While I don't need to spend a fortune, the way we do school and the way I plan school has changed.  We use a TON more books and I always end up with 3 tall stacks of books on the left side of my desk (which I have recently cleaned off for the first time in about a year!).  Of course, all those piles make it difficult to find books (which are always at the bottom of a pile), and it is so...so...cluttered.  I do not like clutter.

2014:

So I went to Target and bought some magazine holder things so I can keep the books on my desk at arms reach at all times. 
P.S.  We have a few more books on our shelves now.  *gulp*

But first I needed to remove everything that was on my desk, clean it, and add things back as I went. 

Now my books can stay on there and they don't look messy in stacks! 

Of course I organized them according to subject. 

Bursting with books.  Makes me SO happy.  I also cleaned out the baskets to make room for whatever I will need to go in them this school year.  I have all my school supplies in organized containers in the closet.  I'm thinking I may move these to the basement because they take up so much space in there.  Hmmm... 

My supplies are still there, my books can be on my desk at all times within easy reach, they look pretty, and I still get to stick to my black, white, and green color scheme.

Oh my goodness.  Is it time to do some lesson plans yet????

Comments