4th of July, well, the 5th

Every year on (or around) the 4th of July, we get together with our dear friends, the Hines family.  For those of you that don't know, here's the story, as short as I can make it.  (You're going to need to take notes!)

Ron Hines and my dad met back in 1986 - they both were in the Air Force and played racquetball for PT for the Air Force.  It turns out, they both were very, very good at racquetball and decided to become teammates in tournaments.  They dominated and became great friends.  Enter God's providential hand - He moved Ron and his wife and two kids right across the street from us.  Ron's wife Sharon and my mom became great friends.  Ron's oldest daughter, Selena, is 5 years older than me and babysat my sister and I.  Ron's son, Wesley, is 2 years older than me and became my friend.  My parents and Ron & Sharon had double date nights on a regular basis, usually with Selena babysitting us.  Very often she'd bring her best friend, Jen, with her.  Selena and Jen are so close, they're like sisters and Ron & Sharon consider Jen their 3rd kid and Jen's kids are their grandkids (even though Jen has a great mom who is very in the picture).  It is one big, happy family.

God's providence was involved because Ron & Sharon are the ones who got us to go to church regularly.  Eventually, my parents were saved and after that my sister and I were.  While my parents and I attend church regularly, my sister doesn't.  I believe she is still saved, though.

Fast forward to 2014, and Ron and Michael are fishing buddies, which has bonded them more than I could have ever imagined.  Michael adores Ron in a way I have never seen.  Michael has no other friends - he doesn't want them.  I love having Ron (used to be "Mr. Hines," but I think of him as Uncle Ron) as the major influence on Michael.  While Michael's faith is strong, Ron's is also and I love that they hang out together so much.

Also here in 2014, Wesley works for the same company we all do (so does Ron, for that matter).  Selena and Jen homeschool now so all of our kids do activities together.

Our families used to look like this:
Doug & Joann have 2 girls - me and Christina
Ron & Sharon have 3 kids (sort of) - Selena, Jen, and Wesley

Now all 5 of us "kids" are married with our own kids.  I have 1, Selena has 3, Jen has 2, and Wesley has 2 with one more on the way.  We all bring our spouses and kids to one big bbq every year and we swim and have fun.  I have more memories with these people than my own extended family.  I can count on these people more than my extended family.  They are more aunt and uncle and cousins than my actual blood relatives are.  I absolutely adore them.  And they've known me since I was 6 years old - that's huge for this military girl with a super dysfunctional extended family.

So, how about some pictures from our fun day!!

Selena's daughter Malia (12), Jen's 2 girls (Daphne - 12, Calli - 9), and my Kara (8) waiting for Selena's husband, Rodney to throw toys in the pool so they could dive for them 

The "man cave" - from left to right - Jen's husband Shane, Christina's husband Tony, Michael, Ron 

Christina playing basketball in the pool 

Christina and Tony's "kid," Jake 

Sharon with her grandson, Selena's youngest, Maddux (6)
One, two.... 

THREE! 

Wesley was constantly covered with kids.  Kara (8), Selena's son Maddux (6), and Jen's daughter Calli (9) 

He was in there with them for HOURS.  What a big kid.  :-)  He was my friend for so long - he knew all the cool Super Mario Bros codes, and we used to explore the woods together all summer long.  

The traditional dessert - every year my mom makes this ice cream, oreo concoction and every year we all CAN'T WAIT to have some! 

From left to right, Selena's oldest Dawson (14), Wesley's daughter River (4), Sharon, Wesley's son Ryan(4).

Jen's daughter Calli (9) with Wesley 

Kara having the time of her life 

My mom helping with pool basketball 

Wes and his wife Graciela.  They have twin four year olds and one on the way! 

Christina and Tony.  I ADORE these people. 

Christina's husband Tony playing with Kara in the pool.  I think they were racing to the bottom of the 7.5 ft deep pool, then racing back up to the top.

From left to right, Selena's youngest Maddux (6), Wes's twins River and Ryan (4).

Kara and Calli (Jen's youngest).  They are about a year apart and have been buds since they were tiny.  They always wrangle a sleepover or something out of us at these parties.  :-) 

Maddux finally out of the pool and eating.  He spends more time under water than out of water. 

Wes hanging out with his princess, River.  She had a blast.  Everyone did! 

River was cracking up at this knucklehead.  And Jake.  :-)

What.  A.  Great.  Day.

EPIC!  And we get to do it again next year.  :-)

Comments