Gotta get back....

After stress eating while my aunt was sick and my mom was gone, I weighed more than I ever have before and knew I had to do something. After considering diet pills and other quick fixes, I decided against it and went with eating healthy and exercising. My hard work paid off, and I lost 12 pounds last summer, and 18 more this spring. That's 30 pounds - but I wasn't done yet - my goal was 40. Well, early this summer, we went on a cruise and I was happy to wear the same gown I wore on our last cruise 5 years ago! Yeah!
So I had a great time on the cruise, then a couple weeks later I went to North Carolina on a vacation with Kara, then a couple of weeks later I went to Texas with Kara and Christina. All that traveling and good times led to weight gain - 10 pounds. :( I can't believe I could put so much weight on so quickly. Fortunately I'm tall, so I all my clothes still fit, but I'm just so disappointed.
Having a daughter, I realize I have a responsibility to teach her healthy body image. I am teaching her that exercise is fun, but also that being active is more important than exercise. I am also trying to be a good example food-wise. We eat picnics and share the same food - lots of fruits, nuts, and cheese. I also love salads.
So, it's time to get down to business, and lose the 10 pounds I gained this summer, and 10 more to reach my overall goal of 40 pounds.
I was so thin my whole life, then I got married and started gaining weight so easily. I just hate having to always work at it. Don't you ever get sick of always trying to improve yourself - improve your body, improve your health, clean your house, pray more, read more, learn more, etc. etc. etc. When do we ever get to just BE?

Comments

Vicky said…
In heaven, sweetie, in heaven we will get to just be! And then it won't matter!
jessicaday said…
Well put, Mom! I guess until we get there we have to constantly grow and change!
Blue Foot said…
I just am.
I wasted my youth always trying to be thinner, smarter, prettier, and more perfect and I never got there. Nothing was ever enough and I was never happy. Then I moved to Honduras where I wasn't constantly bombarded with "better" and where there were more important things to worry about - and I learned to appreciate who I was a little more. And now I don't care so much - of course my house is a mess, a lot of people know more than I do, and I should probably sit up straight more often, but whatever - I am so much more peaceful.
I think you're perfect Jess - just the way you are. Although being healthy is important, try not to lose yourself in the process. I'd miss you. :-)

PS. Let me know if you don't want me to comment on your blog posts - not sure if this is just for family.
Kattrina said…
Sorry Jessica - "Blue Foot" is me too, just another email address. Didn't want you to think some strange person commented on your post.
jessicaday said…
Thanks so much for the encouraging words, Kattrina. It's hard to be a perfectionist - always putting pressure on myself, and it's hard being an American woman - always putting pressure on our appearance. I really appreciate what you said - gives me something to think about....