What a Man Wants

Michael came home from work yesterday already feeling lousy enough to announce he was going to stay home today.  You have to understand, Michael isn't the stereotypical man who turns into a giant baby and wants to be taken care of when he's sick.  I would know what to do with that.  I desperately want to make him soup from scratch, with homemade rolls and try to pump vitamin C in him with orange juice for breakfast.  I want to bring him medicine and hear him say, "thank you, I'm feeling better!"

Alas, this is NOT how Michael wants to be treated.  It has taken years of marriage for me to try to STOP treating Michael how I would want to be treated, and to work hard to actually figure out what he would want.  (I am still working hard - it is so unnatural!)

So, I tried my best to not look at him or talk to him, while he just laid on the couch with his electric blanket.  Then I left the house for about 7 hours.  Then I brought fast food home to him.  Now I will be leaving him alone again for the rest of the evening.  All of which he wanted.  I'm finally getting it.

I love my man so much.  Just the way he is.

Comments