Home Economics

If you ask me, "home economics" is what you call chores.  I am going to call what we did today "home economics" because it was good life lessons for Kara and it's important for her to learn - as important as fractions.

So, today Kara did her devotion, started her book report on Charlotte's Web, and started reading Stuart Little.  After that, we worked on some of those home economics.  I wanted to teach her how to read a recipe and make oatmeal cookies, which are Michael's favorite, but I have no brown sugar!  Rookie mistake!  So, I let Kara talk me into chocolate cupcakes with frosting.  I taught her how to read the directions first, assemble all the ingredients, then get started.  She did GREAT!  Such a big difference from when she was younger and would wimp out really fast.  She made it all the way through washing the dishes and counters.  Very nice!  Here are some pictures and videos:




I ran out of memory and this cut off.  I was saying
Grandma taught me to pour the oil into the measuring cup
over the bowl so if some spills, it goes into the bowl.




While the cupcakes baked, we worked on the frosting next:

My mom taught me canned frosting is disgusting (she is
right), so we only have frosting from scratch in this house.


Stir in 2/3c cocoa powder to a stick of butter.



Add milk and powdered sugar.


She did great!  Next it was time for dishes and since we had been in the kitchen sweet FOREVER, she sat while she washed.  It is so hard letting her do it because it takes so long and I had to ask her to rewash most dishes, but she is learning and had a great attitude and I'm so proud of her.



The next lesson in today's home economics class is laundry.  This is the first time she has done laundry here, so I taught her how the machines differ from the ones in Maryland.  She has already folded the first load and the second is in the dryer.



She did great!  In the next house she will be doing her own laundry, so we're off to a good start.

Teacher and Mom overlap a lot and I'm happy to be able to be both!

Comments

Vicky said…
HA! Michael used to sit on the back of a chair while he did dishes during our days in Buffalo! :D I laughed when she said, "I can't do this anymore!" when she was stirring the batter! I have to agree that sometimes MY adult arms wear out stirring batter! :D Good job, Kara!
Unknown said…
Kayla loves to cook and bake! She used to watch cooking shows all the time. Not much time for that now that it's marching season, but this winter, I'm sure we'll be back on the Food Network a lot. Has Kara ever watched those shows they do where kids compete with cooking? She is really good about it if I don't feel well or if I say can you make this and I'll make this? Go Kara!
jeday0323 said…
As far as I know Kara doesn't like cooking or baking. lol! She did it out of obedience. :-)