Digging In

We got home from Maryland Tuesday night, then drove to Birmingham Wednesday to meet Merideth for lunch.  She had a doctor's appointment to see if her baby is a boy or girl.  (We just found out tonight it is a boy, by the way.  She is naming him Walter Edward.  I love the name Edward and Walter will grow on me!)

Kara and I were feeling pretty sick of the car on our way home (we ate lunch about an hour and 45 minutes from home), so we stopped by the big house to play before we went home.  Kara enjoyed her sandpile while I walked through to see what was done while I was gone.

I made a quick spaghetti dinner and Kara and I headed to church.  It was my first week in the ladies Bible study and her first week at the kids program Wednesday.  We were tired and did not want to go, but I'm so glad we did!  I wanted to meet some ladies with kids Kara's age so we could get them together.  I was also hoping to meet my own buddy.  There were two ladies (sisters) who are in their 60s, I'd guess, who are very sweet and I really like, but don't have 9 year olds.  And one other person - she has a few teenagers and was very.....disappointed with her week.  I couldn't figure out why she complained about every little thing, including our awesome town, until she revealed her ex husband was recently fired from his job because of drugs and alcohol and his job had the health insurance her kid needs for surgery next month.  Oh my.  Poor woman.  We all said we would pray for that situation and we would pray for her eyes to be opened to the beauty of this town - all three of us couldn't believe she didn't love it!  But, with such a bad week, everything would seem awful to me too!

Anyway.

My Bible study was over at like 7:15 and Kara wouldn't be ready to be picked up until 7:45.  I really wanted to go hang out in my car, or go shopping!  But, I sat in the hallway hoping to run into people. And I did!  I talked with the head of the children's program, who is the sweetest southern bell you ever did meet.  Oh, she is darling!  I also met a woman who sits a few rows ahead of us each week in church.  Her brother?  My next door neighbor!  Yes.  This kind of stuff is why I consider this a small town.  I also met a nice woman who turned out to be the perfect contact!  She moved here from out of state years ago and took it upon herself to be the woman at her job who helps people find all the cool stuff around here and she helped me too.  She introduced me via email to another homeschool mom who has kids Kara's age and we talked about all the stuff Kara can do around here.  Horse lessons, art classes, field trips, co-ops, meetings at the library, 4H club, etc.  (Now I just have to look up what a 4H club is.  I just know Kara is joining.)

We felt like our church was home from the first visit, but we wanted to pray about it and make sure it was God's leading.  On the way home from church, Kara had so much fun learning about God and making so many friends that she was going on and on about how it was the best church ever.  We all three talked about it and agreed it's the church for us.  Yay!  I can't wait to officially join so I can start serving.  I'll talk more about that in another post.

Friday (today) Kara and I went to Chick Fil A before we went to Walmart to get new glasses for her.  When I brought the food to the table, I saw Kara (who was sitting there with her nose in a book when I left her) talking to a sweet little girl.  Kara said, "I know her from Wednesday at church!"  She came over to Kara because she recognized her and struck up a conversation with her.  BLESS HER HEART!  I love her already.  And we finally ran into someone we know while we were out!  (Again, feels small town to me.  I lived in Severn from middle school until age 35 and didn't run into people.  There are 45,000 people just in our town - never mind the surrounding towns.)

More and more, we are digging our roots in.  So exciting!

Comments

Vicky said…
SO happy for y'all! :D
Unknown said…
I am so glad kara is making friends. I have been praying for that. And the name walter is growing me too. ;)