West Coast Vacation - Day 3

We woke up on Friday morning ready to move on and explore.  So, we got ready, packed up, had breakfast at the hotel, and I walked over to the next block to the rental car building.  It went very smoothly and we had a GREAT car.  I was going to get a large SUV since there are 4 of us and LOTS of luggage.  But, after further research, I decided on a minivan because they get better gas mileage.  I was hoping for captains chairs in the middle row (which we got) and we folded down the back row.  These new vans are amazing - the back row folds down flat, which made for INSANE space in the back.  It also had a DVD player, 2 USB ports, an electrical outlet, and a cigarette lighter outlet.  And that was just the back seats!  The back seat had it's own heat/A/C and the driver and passenger had their own heat/A/C.  Yeah, I was very pleased with the vehicle.

I swung by to pick up my girls at the hotel, and we headed out of San Francisco.




These rainbows have been painted on the tunnels since my mom was little. 



Beautiful countryside on our way out of San Francisco.




Guy Fieri's restaurant in Santa Rosa, CA 





Squaw Rock 

Vineyards!  Those trees are in Tuscany AND Napa Valley.  :-) 

We passed our hotel and went straight to my Uncle Jay's house (my mom's brother).  We didn't know him well while we were younger (we lived all over the world and he stayed in California), but as adults we've made it out to visit him several times.  He and Aunt Sue are THE SWEETEST to Kara.  (I know it's mostly/all Aunt Sue - being the woman in the relationship, I know men have little to do with these things.)  :-)  They mail her presents, cards, have pictures of her all over their house, and always think of her.  I never really had that growing up (outside of my parents), so it means so much to me.  Anyway, we were all 4 looking forward to seeing them for the afternoon/dinner.

BUT, we had to stop along the way - right in their town is a teeny farm with a roadside stand.  They sell the most delicious strawberries, blueberries, etc.


Uncle Jay (my mom's brother) and Christina 


 Aunt Sue and Kara - Aunt Sue always sends Kara little presents in the mail.  Cool things like stickers and cool socks and candy.  She's the best.


My mom hit the grocery store and made a yummy homemade meal (which we were craving since we were eating out so much) of noodles, bbq chicken (which Uncle Jay cooked), salad, and rolls.  Yum!

On our way back to the hotel (in Ukiah), we saw the sun setting over the mountains.  Gorgeous!


What a GREAT third day.

Here is how much we have driven so far:


Comments

Elisabeth said…
Sounds just like our van. People always say they never want to be that mom with the minivan. All I can say is why not?! I can open the side doors and back with my keyfob, the DVD player is going constantly (and came with wireless headphones), back up camera, lots of space in the back if needed. I love my van!
And I'm loving the pics so far!
jeday0323 said…
I totally get it, Liz! If I had more than one kid, I'd probably get a van. :-)