West Coast Vacation - Day 2

We woke up bright and early (thanks to the time zone) and ready for our big day in San Francisco.  Well, we really wanted to focus on Fisherman's Wharf.  We're not interested in downtown shopping or Chinatown, and since we're limited to just one day, that works out well.

Kara was super excited and was singing and dancing all around ready for some fun.



We started with breakfast at the hotel (where there were zero seats available - the hotel was booked solid), then headed out with my trusty camera and no sunscreen...........notice the ominous tone to that.  We'll come back to that later.

The city was still waking up and just starting to open, so we went straight to the Fisherman's Wharf sign and walked along where they sell seafood right there.  It felt like the heart of Fisherman's Wharf.






We talked about going to see Alcatraz and do the tour, but it would take a lot of time and I don't think it would be appropriate for Kara, so we'd have to split up.  So, we decided to skip it.  But we took our picture with it!


By the way, this is how you describe the fog rolling in on the bay.  Your arms have to do that waving motion.  They have to.


Artsy Fartsy pic of boats (go easy on me, I'm still learning) 



This is where we eat dinner every time we come.  Yummy italian food.

More artsy 

I spy the Golden Gate Bridge!




Right across the street from the beach where we saw the bridge was Ghirardelli Square.


Free chocolate when you go in the store and buy water.  You'd think it's nice, but the water was $2.75, so I'm not thinking it was so nice. 

Kara sitting at the fountain.  How much do you love her turquoise shoe laces?

We hung out at Ghirardelli Square for a while waiting for the cable cars to start running, which I researched to be 10am.





Kara's Cupcakes 

View from Ghirardelli Square

Flowers, flowers everywhere.  Got the bridge in the background.  Cool?  Yes?  No? 

On the cable cars 

Lombard Street:

2014

2010 - why is she growing up so quickly? 


I turned around and she was so tired she was laying on the ground.  Gross!  But, once she was down there, I figured the damage was done and let her stay there.  It was really hot and those were a lot of stairs.

One tree, leaves, 2 types of flowers.  Fisherman's Wharf is so pretty.

Boudin Bread - she made a crab!  Yay for Maryland crabs.


We had lunch there at Boudin bread, which was delicious!  Then we went to the museum upstairs afterwards.  So cool.  I love baking, I especially love baking bread, so I found it all fascinating.

Loads of street performers









Kara rode the two story carousel while we all sat for a caricature - when her turn was done, that is.  Then I bought her some cotton candy she was eyeing while she sat.  It cost a fortune!  She loved being around someone else who could draw well and it inspired her to sit next to me and draw a little herself.  She wanted the grown up artist lady to tell her she was a good artist too.



After that, it felt really hot so we went shopping for souvenirs, I put the camera away, and we headed to the hotel.  I think we dropped our stuff off there and got ready for dinner.  We saw approximately 47 homeless people, very disturbing.  Some had dogs, some were abusing their dogs, some were full on digging in the trash, some were ranting in the square, some were sleeping on the street.  I understand most homeless people have mental illness issues, I do think it is very sad.  I do feel bad for them.  It's uncomfortable though.  Do I feed them?  Do I give them money?  Do I help, am I enabling?  I pray about it and see what the Lord leads me to do.  Sometimes I give food, but so far I haven't been led to give money.

After a delicious italian dinner at Cioppinos, we stopped by Walgreens on the way back to pick up a few things and get ready for the beginning of our driving days the next day.

That's when we noticed.....

the sunburns.

Kara had little red shoulders (I've never seen her skin red, ever - she has Michael's blood in her), I had a red nose and chest, and my sister was toast.  She works full time and rarely goes outside (unlike us), so she was pretty bad off.  We were tired from all the walking, sunburned, and on eastern time, so we showered, put on some aloe, and went to bed early.  We got a lovely night's sleep, though!

Comments