Psalm 23

One of the many great things about homeschooling is spending time in the Word daily with Kara.  Yes, I could have done this before we homeschooled, but for whatever reason, there never seemed to be any time.  Anyway, now we both start our days reading Scripture and, let me tell you, it's wonderful.  She is memorizing Psalm 23 right now and I love seeing something so familiar as brand new in her eyes.  Through explaining it to her, I have a fresh view of it too.  So, forgive me for talking in 3rd grade terms, but here is where we are so far.

Psalm 23:1
The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want.


I asked Kara, "how can the Lord be a shepherd if we're not sheep?"  We discussed how we are living this life on earth trying to figure out our way, and we're blessed to have God leading us, protecting us, saving us, etc.  He guides us and we can safely follow Him.  I shall not want.  Ah, so nice.  God gives us so much.  We want for nothing.  When the God of the universe delicately shepherds us and cares about our tiny, sinful lives, that blows my mind.

Psalm 23:2
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.


We are confident and secure in our green pastures.  We rest in Him, we rest calmly, we rest.  This is a big deal to me, since I struggle with anxiety, I love being still and knowing He is God.  I love that He is my safe place to rest in, and lie down in.  He leads me beside quiet waters.  He leads me, I don't wander, and I am safely brought to the quiet waters.  It's safe there.  And the waters meet my needs.  There is something overwhelmingly peaceful to me about this verse.

Psalm 23:3
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.


Oh my goodness does he restore my soul.  Sometimes He restores my soul every month and sometimes he restores my soul every hour.  It depends on the day!  Praise God for constant restoration.  For fixing me up again after I break.  For making me new when I mess up.  Again.  Praise Him for saying, "silly little sheep, I forgive you, now let's go this way instead."  I'm sorry, Lord.  Thank you for your never ending forgiveness.  I long to stay in the path of righteousness, but constantly slip.  Thank you for helping me.


I pray you are overwhelmed by familiar verses that you hear in a fresh way today!  God is so good!  <3

Comments