8th Grade Curriculum Ideas - Math

I am one of THOSE homeschool moms.  We come in all shapes and sizes, but I am one who likes to plan and plan and plan.  It's what makes me comfortable and what makes things go smoothly for us.  Staying flexible through it all is what makes me grow.

Math:
We used Teaching Textbooks math up until this year.  Kara really liked the spiral approach (only 5 problems would be on today's lesson, and the other 20 problems would be review).  This year for Algebra she really was having a hard time understanding the way the Teaching Textbooks curriculum was explaining things, so we tried BJU (thank you, Jessica, for lending us the book!).

I got this picture from the internet, but this is what we
are using.  The spiral books are the teacher's editions.
Kara LOVES the rigid structure.  Bless her.  She is totally my child.  She also loves the fact that there are so many problems on today's lesson so she can make sure she gets it before she moves on.  This looks like the textbooks I used in high school.  Today's lesson:

Her book

Her book

My book

My book

So, knowing I wanted to use BJU again, I asked Michael about what order to teach high school math.

Option 1 (aka the order I was taught)
1.  Algebra 1
2.  Geometry
3.  Algebra 2
4.  Pre-Calculus

Option 2
1.  Algebra 1
2.  Algebra 2
3.  Geometry
4.  Pre-Calculus

He picked option 2!  After he said that, I did a google search to see why it's taught like option 1 in public school.  The main reason is juniors need to already have geometry completed for their SAT/ACT tests.  Another reason is some think sophomores can't handle Algebra 2.

Michael said he thinks Algebra 2 would be easier if the student took it right after Algebra 1.  SO, we will do Algebra 2 next year.

I got these pictures from the internet, but this is what we
are using.  The spiral books are the teacher's editions.
These are in the mail on their way to us!

Reserving the right, of course, to change our minds if we see fit.

I estimate we will start Algebra 2 sometime in the spring.  Maybe October seems early to order that, but spring will be here before I know it!

Comments