Tutoring, Curls, and Airports

I was just reading my last post about Kara struggling with hormones and emotions and realized after she got that into a good place, her grades rose tremendously.  Isn't that always the way?  When the Lord helps us get into a good frame of mind, we can do everything else better.

I have been tutoring (via Skype) two boys in Maryland.  My sister's best friend's sons.  I have known them since they were little and they are exactly one year older than Kara and one year younger than Kara, so she always played well with them too.  The older boy is a quick learner who just has problems focusing and taking his time with math problems, so this summer we are solidifying some basics.  The younger boy is a slower learner, but a harder worker, which makes me think HE is the smarter one.  He keeps calling himself dumb, which breaks my heart.  I've been working with the younger boy for two weeks on adding and subtracting fractions.  We have a ways to go, but I think he is off to a great start.  I'm trying not to rob them of their summer vacation, so I assign them times tables homework and math worksheets (made up by me, written on my spiral notebook) - both should take 20 minutes a day total.  I also assigned a bunch of reading - go to the library and pick whatever is interesting to you.  Then read it.  Comic books, motorcycle books, army books.  Whatever.  That's going well.  I also mailed a copy of Percy Jackson to the older boy.  Also, I want them reading closed captioning.  Kara does that and "reading" tv has improved her spelling and vocabulary like you wouldn't believe.  (Of course, that girl LOVES reading, so I shouldn't be surprised she wants to "read" her favorite movies and shows.)  Then we Skype 2 times a week for an actual lesson, usually in math.  They each get a 30 minute lesson.  I was so nervous the first few times we skyped!  I was all sweaty and talked fast and couldn't think of the words I wanted to say sometimes.  I wonder if I wouldn't have been so nervous if I could have met with them in person.  Anyway, if they put as much effort this whole summer as they have so far, they will be ready for school in the fall.  Keep up the good work boys!  Today is another Skype session - 1:00.  The younger boy and I will plug along with adding and subtracting fractions.  The older boy and I have moved past fractions and will continue with decimals.  Later today I will look up the Maryland school requirements for each of their grades to make sure I cover everything they'll need for math.  (Thank goodness I still have all of that bookmarked from when I homeschooled Kara in Maryland.)

Switch gears with me for a minute.

Before that, I am going to get my hair cut.  Since Kara is in Florida with my parents this week (pictures in just a minute), I have today free.  I decided to get my hair cut.  I have always just gone to Great Clips.  I have very forgiving hair (I think it's a curly hair thing) and even when it was cut terribly that time, it was fine.  No biggie.  When they cut it too short, no problem, it grows super fast. That said, a friend of mine at church is trying to grow her customer base (that doesn't sound right - is that what it's called?) and I wanted to hang out with her, so she will be cutting my hair.

This cut will be a curly haired cut.  Here's the big secret - I have curly hair.  Oh wait, you already knew that?  Yeah, well, now I want to really embrace the curly hair and love my curls.  Kara is right in front of insecurity-central and hating her hair is top on the list of things girls complain about.  When I learn what to do with my curls, I can help her with hers.  Here is a picture of my curls on Sunday:

I woke up with these curls.  I am trying to
figure out products to keep them looking
like that all day, and try to prevent the frizz.

Five minutes later I took a picture trying to
eliminate that double chin, and you can see
the curls had shifted and some curls
are relaxing.

I am thinking having such long hair is part of it.  It's hard to keep that kind of bouncy curl when my hair is down to the middle of my back.  I think hard core layers is the key.  This picture below explains what I mean, even though her curls on the right are done with a curling iron.


So, today I'm off to get this cut.  And maybe shop for some products, if there's time.  Most places you get your hair cut sell products, so I'm hoping for that sort of situation.  I sure wish my friend who is cutting my hair had curly hair too!  But she has been doing this for decades and probably still can help.

I do like blow drying my hair and playing with curling irons sometimes, but all through the summer, I just want to wake up with those curls and go.  I'll keep you posted with pictures of the new 'do.  :-)

Okay, time for Kara pictures:

Here she is at the gate in Birmingham with me.

I told her traveling can be stressful and boring,
so we need to do fun stuff so we look forward
to it.  So, she got a new book and I bought
her pretzels, Nutella, and peanut m&ms for
the flight.  She couldn't wait to dig into the
Nutella.  lol.


Then it was time to get on the plane.  I sat next to the plane reading a book, careful not to leave the airport until they were in the air and on their way.  Praise God, they left on time and had a good flight.

Here she is arriving in Florida:

They can see her!

Since she is too young for a license, the
airport staff asks her name and date of
birth for identification purposes.  This is
her shy face as she talks to strangers.
100% Michael Day.

These little cards are so much easier to use!
Mom and Dad were both able to go down
to the gate, which was great.

They took her straight to her favorite McDonalds, then to their house.  Let the spoiling begin!

Cheetos in bed.  Yep, that's what life is like
with your grandparents.

Then Facebook showed me this was almost ten years ago and my heart broke a little.  That big kid eating cheetos is giant and all limbs and that sweet pudgy baby is gone.  The same smile is still there though.  :-)



Mom sends me pictures of her having fun, which is usually eating junk food in bed.  :-)  lol!  Now that's a fun vacation!!

Still a precious baby.  Looks so much like
her father sleeping.





I know Kara is having a great week.  Now I get to get ready for my new spiffy hair cut!

Comments