Autumn

Well, as I look outside my window, the beautiful tree in my front yard is hanging on to the last 10% of its leaves and is looking pretty dreary. I look around and instead of seeing beautiful leaves, life, health, I see dead dry sticks. I love the autumn season in general because of the awesome holidays, the cool weather, and the gorgeous scenery. But, I don't like winter.....at all. It's so long and freezing and dark and barren. Even though I know nature isn't dead, just kind of hibernating, it seems kind of depressing.

(Here's a fun fact - did you know trees lose their leaves in the fall because of lack of water, not because of the cold? I didn't know that until recently. I guess there isn't enough waterfall in the winter to sustain leaves and the rest of the tree, so they shed their leaves until more water comes. God is so cool - He has such a perfect hand in all of nature.)

So, looking outside at the signs of autumn, I started thinking about the seasons of life. I think I'm in the summer of life. Still blossoming, blooming, and thriving. But not spring - my spring has sprung. :-) I have to admit moving on to autumn and winter kind of scares me as I see my grandparents in their winter of life and hating it. But then I realize my grandfather hated every single day of his life because of depression and I can make this life whatever I want it to be. No matter where Kara is (hopefully still close and giving me TONS of grandchildren), Michael will be there. You know, when you get engaged and then married you think long term - like 10 years down the road (houses, babies, careers, etc) - but now that our 7th anniversary is around the corner, I am looking even further ahead (Kara in school and eventually grandchildren and retirement). Having Michael around for my Autumn and Winter is going to be awesome. Being married to such a funny, easy going, quiet man is so good for me. He loves for me to be independent and supports me in whatever decisions I make - whether it's where/if I work, where we live, any crazy hobbies, etc. All I know is, wherever he will be, I will be. And that is such a warm, comforting feeling - knowing my perfect mate will always be there. I wonder what exciting things God has in store for us.

Comments

Kattrina said…
I am totally still in the "spring" of my life. Not quite ready to move to summer. Maybe once I'm married....
Elisabeth said…
I so love this blog!! That is a great analagy (is that even the word I want?!) It would be good for a ladies meeting or small group or whatever. I might steal it for my next ladies meeting!;) Isn't it great when some really amazing spiritual fact just hits you sqaure in the face?! God is so unbelievably good to us!
Vicky said…
Liz, you liked hostessing the ladies meeting so well earlier this month that you are thinking about a future one?! GREAT!!

Jessica, yes, I would definitely say I am in the autumn of my life. And, like you, as long as I have my DH, I don't care what season I'm in! I cannot imagine living life without him! I miss the kids and grandkids, but I don't even miss them as much as I would miss Tim!