Curriculum Plans for 2020

We will start Kara's 10th grade year sometime around January 2020.  I haven't purchased everything yet, but I have picked just about everything out.



Math:  BJU Precalculus

History, English, Bible:  Notgrass, plus novels

Science:  Biology  Not sure - Apologia, Abeka, Biology 101

Elective:  Abeka Consumer Math

Elective:  Learn Python

Elective:  half credit - home economics

Credits to be earned this year:  7.5

Math - Kara has always been good at math, even though it isn't really her favorite subject.  She continues to get As, so we figure she is in the right place.  Sometimes we spend extra time on a lesson if we need it, but she keeps moving on.  Now that she has completed Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and she will complete Geometry in a few months, Precalculus is next.  Michael took over teaching math once we hit Geometry and I'm grateful for it!

History - We will use Notgrass History for World History.  This text book is a good back bone for History as a subject.  It is a Christian curriculum that uses Scripture, which I love.

English - Notgrass History has classic novels assigned to line up with most of the time periods we will study in the text book.  There are so many great books assigned, plus essays and papers assigned, that Kara will earn a whole credit for English. (The books I don't like I will be replacing with better books).

Bible - Notgrass History has so much Scripture and Bible built into it that Kara will earn a whole credit hour for Bible!  That will be an elective.

Science - I know for sure that we will do Biology next year.  I *think* we will use Apologia again (Kara is really liking Apologia Physical Science this year), but I have a few other Biology curriculums on hand if we decide to go another way.

Elective - Consumer Math - Abeka makes a curriculum for high school that teaches kids how to buy a car, keep a checkbook, how to do taxes, how to keep a budget, etc.  I definitely want to teach her this this year, and we will use this curriculum to keep us on track.  If it gets too cheesy (which Abeka tends to do), we may go on a few tangents.  It's more important to me that Kara really learns how to do all of this than it is to me that she can study for the test, pass, then forget it all.

Programming - This is a great year to start programming with Python.  I haven't picked a curriculum yet, but I'm hoping for something cheap-ish that Kara can mostly teach herself.  Of course we are here to help her, but I think she can handle this on her own.  (I never learned that language - I plan to learn it along with her for fun.  We'll see if I stick to that!  lol.)

Elective - Home Ec - I am creating another half credit subject for Kara which I am calling home ec.  She will learn sewing a hem, changing a tire, how to use saws, cooking, meal planning, lawn care, etc.

By the end of this year, she'll have 11 credit hours, and by the end of next year, she'll have 18.5 credit hours.

Praise God for homeschool!  We are still having so much fun with it and I am so grateful for this extraordinary life!

Comments