External Flash

I just ordered an external flash for my camera and I have been playing with the lighting.

I got this picture off the internet so you can see what it can do:


Here are my pictures.

Direct flash - too harsh

Still a little too bright

This one is probably most true to the actual light

No flash - too dark

Look at my new 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Since it stops all the way down to f/1.8, it lets a lot more light in, which is great for indoors.

Take a look at the backgrounds on these pictures:

Direct flash - too bright 
I pointed the flash upward instead of directly facing the lantern.
Nice.  That background has almost disappeared too.

Watch the background get crisper and crisper while I change
the f stop.

Little blurry.  That's what happens when I need the
background more visible - the shutter stays open longer
and I have the least steady hands in all the world.  Blurry.

I practiced with Kara, but by then, I was pretty decided on which settings I liked.  The living room was pretty dark and the light behind her was really bright, so those were awful lighting conditions I could practice with.

The light from the doors behind her are flaring in the bottom
left of the pic.  I need to get a little closer to her.

A little too bright

Much better.  A little blurry.  Note to self - bring a tripod.

I like this one.  
This flash is awesome.  Did you notice there are no weird, harsh shadows behind the subjects?  This is awesome.  These new purchases didn't break the bank, and I will use them forever.  :-)

Comments

Vicky said…
Oh yes! Beautiful! I love you! ;)