Fervent Study, Part 4

This is the last post, I promise.  I'll go over the last three chapters in this awesome book - Fervent by Priscilla Shirer.

8.  Your Pressures
"If I were your enemy, I'd make everything seem urgent, as if it's all yours to handle.  I'd bog down your calendar with so many expectations you couldn't tell the difference between what's important and what's not.  Going and doing, guilty for ever saying no, trying to control it all, but just being controlled by it all instead....If I could keep you busy enough, you'd bee too over whelmed to even realize how much work you're actually saving me."
Woah.
This is a huge way the enemy picks on me.  Is this true for all type A people?
Saying no is actually the right thing to do sometimes!  "Not every good thing is a God thing." p. 139
Sometimes God calls you to things and sometimes He doesn't.  Sometimes it's just a need in the church and it's not something you are supposed to do.  If you aren't being called to do something, and you do it instead of the person who is supposed to do it, think of the blessing they are missing out on!
"See how fear and insecurity come into play in your pressures.  Those words always have an enemy ring to them, don't they?  Satan's ploy is to make you believe your core value as a person is tied to how much work you do, how much activity you can accomplish, how much stuff you can accumulate, how much business you can generate.  In order to possess any worth under this system - just like Israel under Pharaoh's rule - you've got to be able to rattle off everything you've been doing, one by one, adding it all up into a big gob of bullet points and checklists that ought to impress anybody."  p. 139
I know that's a big paragraph, but she said it so well!
She also goes onto say to be careful that these things we do don't turn into their own version of idolatry.  And/or, don't become slaves to it.
The verse I really liked that she shared was: "I am at rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I will never be shaken." Psalms 62:1-2  I like this because it's a reminder that we are here to please Him alone.  To work for Him alone.  Period.

9.  Your Hurts
"If I were your enemy, I'd use every opportunity to bring old wounds to mind, as well as the people, events, and circumstances that caused them.  I'd try to ensure that your heart was hardened with anger and bitterness.  Shackled through unforgiveness."
This whole chapter was about how withholding forgiveness really hinders our relationship with God.
"Your enemy wants you long-term angry.  And he can use even the lightest offense to do it.  He wants you to be a bitter woman behind that beautiful face."  p. 157
We are to forgive, to let go, to move on.  Not for their sake - they rarely even know we're mad, so they never even say sorry - but for our sake.  And for the sake of our relationship with God.
"Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions."  Mark 11:25.  *gasp*  That's a good reason!  How about we forgive so God can forgive us.

10.  Your Relationships
"If I were your enemy, I'd work to create division between you and other Christians, between groups of Christians, and anyone with the potential for uniting in battle against me and my plans.  I'd keep you operating individually, not seeing your need for the church or tying yourself too closely to its mission.  Strength in numbers and unity of purpose....I would not allow things like these to go unchecked."
"Satan hates - hates! - when God's people get their act together, when we're unified as a couple, a family, a local church, as well as the global, "capital-C" Church.  He hates when we're all praying for one another's needs and potential and mission and unity, going to the throne for (and even with) those around us and closest to us." p. 171
Have you ever been through a church split?  I have.  And it's awful.  All kinds of awful.  Satan just looooves that.  A church, where we are supposed to be worshiping, reaching out to our community, spreading the gospel, was split in half.  The side I ultimately stayed with just sat and took the straight up verbal abuse, familial attacks, and hate that came it's way.  I think this is what the chapter is talking about - our unity is powerful and frightens the enemy.  So he works hard to pick and poke us to try to make us fight.
The verses I liked were:  "Let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth."  1 John 3:18
"Let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this - not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way."  Romans 14:13
"Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another."  Galatians 5:26
"Make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.  Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also of the interests of others."  Phil. 2:2-4
Wow.  There sure is a lot of verses about this, isn't there?

I hoped you liked the review of the book.  It was really good, even a little funny, and quite enjoyable. I learned a lot and feel like my prayer life could use some more direction for purposeful strategic prayers.

Comments

Vicky said…
Can't WAIT to start reading this! My One Little Word for 2017, and for as long as I need it (which is FOREVER) is PRAYER! I need (WANT) to do more of it and do it more effectively! I want to be one of those praying saints that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says, "UHOH! She's awake!" :D