Second to last version of house plans

Wowee!!!  The next set of plans are in and I am so thrilled!


Let's talk about what has changed:
 * The kitchen island is 12 feet long, like my current one.
 * Many of the pillars inside are gone, and we talked about being able to remove all of them.
 * He centered and fixed the front door.
 * He added windows
 * He put in drawings for my flush beamed ceilings in the 3 vaulted ceiling rooms.
 * He put a bench seat in the Breakfast nook.
 * He added a door from the Breakfast nook to the screened in porch, and another one going down to the new concrete patio where we will put our grill.
 * The Screened in porch has a double door going out to the yard.
 * 18 foot ceiling height in the foyer.
 * We talked about framing out the entrance to "Kara's wing."  When she moves out and goes to college, we'd like to close the door to that hallway and not use that part of the house (except when we have guests).  Also, when we're old, it'll be nice to maintain a smaller house.  It will have it's own HVAC, so we can control that part of the house separately.

Things to be changed still:
 * Make the concrete patio come out in a half circle to put a fire pit there and still have room to sit all around it on the patio.
 * Remove the rest of the inside pillars.
 * Make the door coming inside from the garage open the other way.

I think that's it!  Also, I redesigned my laundry room and bathroom a bit.  Since we are building on a concrete slab, the pipes will be coming up from the concrete slab, which means we can't move them later (without a lot of work).  So, I needed to be specific up front with exactly what I want.  Here is what I sent him:


The idea behind the laundry room (thank you Christina for helping me design this!) was to have a nice, deep counter to fold on, looking out the window.  Then that counter will wrap around and be L shaped for the pretty sink.  Next to that will be the washer, then the dryer.  (That wall at the bottom of the design actually has two doors on it - one for each of our closets.)

You can see the tub I am wanting for the master bathroom.  I don't like jetted tubs, mostly because I don't like decking around the tub.  I think the stand alone is much nicer, so that's what I want for my master bath.  I'm thinking if we take that tub out of the corner, we can have a nice, big window above it with a view of the lake.  Thank goodness for no neighbors!  lol!  Hopefully that plan makes sense to the architect and he can make it happen.

Meanwhile, Michael couldn't care less about his bathroom design and said, "yeah, that looks fine."  :-)

Here is the new design for the outside of the house:


He added the window above the front door because I was unhappy with the super high roof - it made the house look squatty.  Here is the before:


So, he took out the crawl space so we could have fewer steps, and added that window above the foyer.  How pretty is that?!  In the recent picture, he added the stone, cedar shingles, and concrete siding we were wanting.  I love the way he designed it and probably won't change a thing!  We do want glass doors for our front door though, and I do want the 4 pillars to be stone on the bottom and chunky square white on the top.  Very craftsman style.

I am so happy with how this is looking!  I'm still waiting for the final set of plans, then we can wait for the cost estimate.

Comments

Unknown said…
Ahhhhhh I love love love love love all the plans and changes! I can't wait to visit!!! Wow! I agree, the tub is fantastic!!!! Jets just get clogged or broken, etc. So beautiful! Wow, did I say wow yet???? The outside is stunning as well!!!