Psychology Unit Study

I have been working on our next unit study:  Psychology.

Fortunately, since Kara has been expressing interest in psychology for a while, I already found this text book at a used curriculum fair:

This is the website for the guy who
wrote this curriculum

This will be the back bone for our unit, and I have added books and movies.  This should take us 5 weeks.  Each week I want to focus on one or two disorders.  I have previewed and pre-read all of the movies and books besides one, and I will pick that up from the library tomorrow when it opens.

I have some assignments already laid out for each movie and book, but others will come together while we go through this.  All books end with the characters getting help from therapists and medicine.  It was important to me that while Kara learns about all of this, she is able to see there is help out there.  Also, every character had something (art, swimming, poetry, etc) that helped them deal with their illness.

Week 1:  Depression

Read "It's Kind of a Funny Story" by Ned Vizzini
(This book is a wonderful first person explanation of what it's like inside the brain of someone with depression.  While he and his friends experiment with drugs and sex at 13, which I edited out of the book for Kara, it doesn't add anything to the story or plot.)
Assignment:  discussion questions I found on the internet (pick some for essays)

Nervous Breakdown (overdose on antidepressants)


Watch "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" (Netflix)
Discuss why it isn't a good idea to hide mental disorders.

Homeschool Psych Textbook - Ch. 1-3
Seeing God Through the Human Body p. 51-56  (This is a book we got from Tim's library.  It was written by a doctor, who sees God in every little detail of the Human Body.  We have been using this book alongside our health course.  This week we will read about the brain.)

Week 2:  Bipolar

Read "All the Bright Places" by Jennifer Niven
(This book shows how a bipolar boy falls in love with a girl mourning her sister's death.  The love story is very sweet.  They both help each other, until they realize they can't save each other - one ends up committing suicide.  Yes, that is hard to read, but it happens.  The surviving character finally gets help and is able to get past it.)
Assignment:  discussion questions I found on the internet (pick some for essays)


Watch "Mad Love"
I loved this movie in high school.  This movie reinforces what All the Bright Places shows - love helps, but can't save you.  Professional help is best.  Again, I remember this being a very sweet love story.

Homeschool Psych Textbook - Ch. 4-6
Incredible but True Facts p. 127-135, p. 140-149  (I got this book from Five Below - more learning about the brain)

Week 3:  OCD

Read "Every Last Word" by Tamara Ireland Stone
I love, love, loved this book.  This book shows how a popular high school girl with OCD uses her love of swimming and a new love of poetry to get through life.  Her long time therapist is very helpful and we all get to hear the advice she gives.  (Yes, there is a very sweet love story in this one too!)
Assignment:  Write your own Red, Blue, and Yellow poems about your own OCD


Watch "What About Bob?"
Yes, this movie is funny and kind of silly, but it'll keep the mood a little lighter on a serious subject.

Homeschool Psych Textbook - Ch. 7-9
The Amazing Human Body p. 142-147  (Another book I have on my shelf - more learning about the brain)

Week 4:  Paranoid schizophrenia

Watch "A Beautiful Mind"
I think we have all seen this movie - a brilliant mathematician develops paranoid schizophrenia.  This not only shows what it's like for him, but how hard it is on his wife and friends.  Again, he gets help and is able to deal.


Read "Maybe You Should Talk to Someone" by Lori Gottlieb
I heard this book was wonderful and the library has it, so I will pre-read it this week.  How a therapist helps four different patients.
UPDATE:  I just finished this book.  It was really good.  If Kara wants to dive further into psychology, we will read this.  If not, we'll skip it for this unit study.

Power of Fear

Watch "Sphere"
I love this movie and recently read the book.  I think the idea of the power of fear comes through enough in the movie without having to read the book.  But if you get a chance, I highly recommend the book!

(maybe: Manipulate by Brainwashing
Watch "Disturbing Behavior"
Not sure if we'll have time for this one.)

Homeschool Psych Textbook - Ch. 10-12
Abeka Health Textbook p. 190-212 (drugs)
Abeka Health Textbook p. 213-222 (right relationships)

Week 5:  Eating Disorders

Watch "Center Stage" (Hulu)
This is one of my all time favorite movies.  I have watched it over and over and never get tired of it.  You can't have a good movie about ballet without mentioning anorexia and bulimia.  This is mostly about pursuing your dreams while keeping your priorities straight, but bulimia is in there too.

PTSD

Read "Something Like Normal" by Trish Doller
This book talks about a 19 year old young man who came home after a year in the Marines in Afghanistan.  He was unable to save his best friend.  Dealing with survivor's guilt and PTSD from the war in general, we see him eventually get professional help, and learn to cope.  Yes, there is a love story in there too.

Homeschool Psych Textbook - Ch. 13-15



Abeka Health Textbook p. 72-83 (brain)



Okay!  There are so many great movies I thought of that would work for this unit study, but weren't appropriate for my 12 year old.  Black Swan, Primal Fear, Fight Club, etc.  Maybe we will watch those one day, but right now, we will stick with the PG / PG-13 books and movies!

I'll get back with you soon and let you know how we are liking it. 

Meanwhile, I had a BLAST working on this for weeks.

Comments