Planning Seventh Grade

I am researching 7th grade curriculum for next school year.  Yes, it’s early.  This is how homeschool moms roll.  Like I mentioned before, when the current year is going smoothly, that’s when we have time to research next year.  Also like I mentioned before, planning 7th grade is really connected to planning high school – it’s a big job.  Middle school is really just preparation for high school.  High school is serious business with official transcripts.  I plan to teach Kara, setting her up for traditional SATs/ACTs and college in her future.  (Gone are the days where I put my own curriculum together because it tailors more to Kara – she needs to learn to conform a bit if she is going to make it in college.  P.S.  If Kara is a person who won’t be going to college, but will be going right to work after high school, we may change things up a bit and get her started in work studies early.)

Today in particular, I’m considering Science, Literature, and History.  (I already have math planned – Teaching Textbooks has been our curriculum of choice for years and I plan to keep using it.  I am pretty sure we will use BJU Grammar & Writing all the way through graduation, but I’ll research that more another day.)

Science so far has been awesome.  It’s by far Kara’s favorite subject and she looks forward to it every day.  So far, it has been snippets of every subject of science all in one year – earth science, life science, physics, chemistry, etc.  Seventh grade is the first year we study one subject all year.  Seventh grade is life science, according to BJU and Abeka, the two companies that sell our favorite curriculum.

When shopping at the used bookstore the other day, I found 7th grade science for BJU and Abeka for really good deals, so I bought them both.

BJU, the science curriculum we’ve used for the last three years, is very in depth, very long, and has quite a bit of work that goes with it.  It will be tough, but I really think Kara can do it.  (She has so far!)  I’m not sure how much she will enjoy it, like she has in the past, but I’m not sure that is a priority for me.

Abeka is shorter, sweeter, and more to the point.  Abeka is less big words and only one book, while BJU is two big books, just for one year.

On the one hand, I want Kara to love to learn.  I want her to continue to be fascinated with science.  I want her to constantly seek more science information on her own, like she does now.  On the other hand, Kara is very intelligent and my goal is for her to sit in college classes completely comfortable with the amount of work because she is used to it.  I want to keep challenging her.  I want to keep giving her work that is pushing the line, that keeps her on her toes, that doesn’t let her settle.

I’m leaning more toward the BJU (more difficult) curriculum.  I’m leaning toward using the more in depth reading, without assigning too much work to go along with it.  (There are an insane amount of options for workbooks, labs, etc.)  If we get bogged down with too many details and bigger words, we can always switch to the other book since I already own it.

And that’s just science!!

As far as literature goes, I plan to switch to Charlotte Mason by high school.  With the Charlotte Mason method, kids read entire books of classic literature.  So much of literature in public school these days (and homeschool curriculums!) is just pieces of books.  I understand the reasoning behind it – getting the best parts of many great pieces of literature.  But I read entire books in high school.  And I want Kara to read entire books.  To Kill a Mockingbird is so good.  And Pride and Prejudice.  And Shakespeare.  So, the question is, do we start that now, or wait until high school?  My super shopping trip resulted in 7th and 8th grade homeschool curriculum that contain bits and pieces of books.  I’m thinking we will use this for middle school, but we may switch.  (The good thing about buying a book for $1 is not feeling badly if you don’t end up using it.)

As far as history, I do plan to use Charlotte Mason next year.  This year we are sort of doing that – Kara is reading the American Girl books that go along with important American history.  Right now she’s up to the war of 1812.  I plan for her to finish the American Girl books by the end of the school year.  She actually really likes this history.  It’s no secret that I’ve always hated history in school, but one of my favorite style of books is historical fiction!  That girl is more like me than she cares to admit.  So, I bought an inexpensive (relatively speaking) curriculum guide that should be here in a few days.  Then I will begin collecting the books that go along with it.  These history books will all correlate with biblical history.  I am so excited to learn this history myself.  I don’t know much about history (most of which I learned from fiction books or movies!), so I’m looking forward to filling in the gaps.  (P.S., this curriculum will take us all through present times and includes world history and American history, which are graduation requirements.)


Whew.  I’ll be praying about these.  Lord, reveal Kara’s education to me!

Comments

Vicky said…
You are doing a FANTASTIC job of teaching Kara!!!
jeday0323 said…
Mom! That was so nice of you to say! And definitely what I needed to hear. <3
Vicky said…
I speak the truth in love! :D