Homeschool Update - Unit Studies

I'm happy to report our Psychology Unit was a success!  Kara said it was the most fun school could be.  I really enjoyed planning it and watching her learn.  She really enjoyed a lighter load and tons of reading.  Of course, no school at all would have been preferred.  ;-)

Our next unit is going to be Physical Science.  We haven't done science in a while and it's time to start a new curriculum.  We will use textbooks this time, but we are going to ease up on the other subjects, and do double duty with science.  (2 to 2 1/2 weeks worth of work in one week.)  Part of me wants to catch up since it has been a while (if we do this for five weeks like I have planned, we will be one third of the way through the book), but part of me wants to just do school this way for a while - digging deep into certain subjects at a time.

Having a preteen has taught me flexibility - just when you are used to life being one way, things change.  We will do school this way until we don't!  I have also learned if it ain't broke, stop trying to fix it.

So, the next five (or whatever) weeks will look like this:
at least double the day's work of science
(some science experiments will be watched on youtube, others we will do together)
Spanish
Geometry
Health
Geography
Bible
PE (Swimming)

Subjects we are setting aside for a few weeks:
Bible History
Writing

If we totally hate being back in textbook land, I'll find some other fun way to learn the material.  Maybe youtube videos.  We will see how it goes - we are trying Apologia for the first time since 3rd grade.  I'm excited!

Comments