Contentment - Starting with the Weather

I changed the background on my blog to be a pretty blossoming tree.  It is still winter here, but I'm dreaming of the day (which will hopefully be soon!) when the sun is warm, the breeze is still a bit crisp, the trees and flowers will be blooming, and there will be color EVERYWHERE.  I guess brown, white, and gray are colors, but not the kind I'm looking for.

But, even then we wouldn't be happy, would we?  The sun is too strong and we sunburn.  It's too hot and humid.  It's too rainy.  It's too cloudy.  It's too cool.  The pollen is too strong.  It's too windy.  There isn't enough of a breeze.

*sigh*

Do you think God gets sick of our grumbling - especially all the grumbling about the weather?  He created the weather to keep His earth going.

I'm going to try something new where I appreciate the weather today for what it is.

If it's freezing cold and feels like knives on my cheeks, at least I get to bundle up in a cozy sweater!  (This girl runs hot and will go years with it not being cold enough for me to need a sweater.)  Also, the cold weather means I can straighten my hair and it looks fabulous - no humidity.  You can light fires, candles, get in the hot tub, and be just plain cozy.  AND, when you buy milk or ice cream at the grocery store, it's good in your trunk until you get home.

Here's a picture of Kara all snuggly in a comfy outfit with an extra fleece blanket

If it's rainy, I give myself permission to sit and watch it rain for at least 5 minutes.  There is something so therapeutic about just sitting and watching it rain.  The earth needs it for beautiful things to happen.  We lived in England, a very rainy place, and it was always beautiful and green.  The Olympic Peninsula is a temperate rain forest and is incredibly beautiful.  Rain also means easy curly hair and no sunburns.

Olympic Peninsula, La Push, WA

If it's hot, there's days at the beach, at the pool, and lazy days staying in the air conditioning.  Less laundry because a t-shirt and shorts take up less space in the washing machine than 3 long sleeved shirts, jeans, and 2 pairs of socks, per person.  Flip flops, sunglasses, and no bulky jackets.  And the colors, oh the colors.  My favorite color has always been purple, but I am coming to love green equally.  The green grass, the green leaves, it's all so beautiful to me.

The last cruise we went on - St. Maartin

I am blessed to live in an area of the country with all 4 seasons.  They'll all get here eventually.  We will have them all, every year.  How about I just enjoy today for what it is?

What if I can apply this little way of thinking past the weather and into more areas of my life?  What if I could just be more content with my lot - whether it's the weather, my weight, how many children God blessed me with, how much/little I work/sleep/etc?

I believe this is something I achieve 'on a good day,' but not every day.  I'd love to work on that.

P.S.  Today is cloudy/rainy and will be about 55 degrees.  Sounds perfectly lovely to me!

Comments